• Register
  • Help

Topic: Muppet Wizard of OZ? Brother...

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs down Muppet Wizard of OZ? Brother...

Anyone happen to catch the Muppets Wizard of Oz? I forced myself through about the first half hour and turned it off. Give me a break! Very hard to take after doing the musical. Geezz, at least they could have come to us for a REAL MUSICAL SCORE!
    Just my 9 1/2 feet.

Sorry Disney ... Ten thumbs down on that one!
    Styxx

Re: Muppet Wizard of OZ? Brother...

Wasn't good, huh? I recorded it, but haven't watched it yet. I will say I'm certainly not fond of Disney buying them. Too bad Jim Henson had to go They did a Christmas special with the Muppets about two or so years ago and it was filled with so much adult humor it was terrible. I guess they are trying to be hip or something, but it turns out to be just stupid! I'll have to buy them myself when I have enough money. In the meantime, perhaps I'll just have to stick with SpongeBob.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I thought it had a fair number of funny moments, though overall wasn't as good as the new Muppets Christmas movie from a couple years ago, which I actually liked quite a bit. Pepe is a great new character and had the best line early on after eating a piece of corn. The songs weren't very good, but how can you compare the expectations of any new songs for a "Wizard of Oz" movie to the original Harold Arlen score?

Not sure I'm giving it a real thumbs up to counteract Mike's ten thumbs down, but I liked it alright.

There has always been a lot of adult humor, or rather humor meant for adults, in The Muppets (and even on Sesame Street), but yeah, it's definitely getting cruder and that's an unfortunate trend.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Haven't seen it, but do they ever say, "Follow the Yellow Brick Toad. Follow the Yellow Brick Toad. Follow the Yellow Brick Toad..."

Now that I know it exists, I'll have to watch - I love spoofs and the Muppets were always fun, even though I am WAY too old to be watching that stuff.

But I can understand how it could bug you, Styxx. Don't worry, it's all smoke and mirrors (but you knew that...)
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

I was disappointed. It would have been better if Dorothy was played by Miss Piggy instead. All puppets would have been better IMO

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    I was disappointed. It would have been better if Dorothy was played by Miss Piggy instead. All puppets would have been better IMO
    Yes! Yes! That's exactly right! Why did they have to put in Humans? It would have been best if all Muppets. Truthfully, that is what I expected!

Yes, Shaz I can see your point but there seems to be no balance of adult humor and children's fantasy humor with the Muppets anymore. Everything is revolved around young adult to adult humor. I guess that is why we have you Shaz who has an understanding of humor especially in those who are new to this world!

Sure, after doing the musical I can be a bit bias but I can tell you there is more fantasy, imagination and continuity to the older than this poor excuse for a remake! Disney needs to go back and think like their founder Walt Disney! Imagination! But alas, maybe it's a lost art. Man, just watch the Disney channel for a day and you may catch my meaning.

I'm not here to sway any one of you to dislike the program. I have a strong respect for everyones opinions, desires, wants, and beliefs. This was not intended to be a thrashing of the Muppets. Just voicing my disappointment and maybe expecting too much for it to be like the original.
    Still, I strongly agree with Maestromovie ... They should have produced it all with Muppet characters. Yes, Pep was very funny I have to admit!
    Styxx

Still did not see it, but I wojuld agree 100% - all Muppets, all the time!
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

But when have Muppet shows or movies included only Muppet characters? Never, that I can recall. The TV show always had a prominent guest star and the films always had several human characters and cameos mixed with the Muppets, usually moreso than this one, even. I agree the Dorothy they went with wasn't very strong, but Miss Piggy as Dorothy? Not her character at all, whereas playing the good and wicked witches was a natural choice for her. And who else could there even have been, Muppet-wise, as Dorothy? Miss Piggy is the only female lead that I can think of.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Quote Originally Posted by Shazbot
    But when have Muppet shows or movies included only Muppet characters? Never, that I can recall. The TV show always had a prominent guest star and the films always had several human characters and cameos mixed with the Muppets, usually moreso than this one, even. I agree the Dorothy they went with wasn't very strong, but Miss Piggy as Dorothy? Not her character at all, whereas playing the good and wicked witches was a natural choice for her. And who else could there even have been, Muppet-wise, as Dorothy? Miss Piggy is the only female lead that I can think of.
    Sure, I understand what you are saying but this just didn't have the magic Disney was so famous for. It just didn't jive for me even trying not to be so bias toward the original.
    Like Frank Zappa said, "Don't give me non of your Jive Cosmic Debris!"
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Wasn't good, huh? I recorded it, but haven't watched it yet. I will say I'm certainly not fond of Disney buying them. Too bad Jim Henson had to go They did a Christmas special with the Muppets about two or so years ago and it was filled with so much adult humor it was terrible. I guess they are trying to be hip or something, but it turns out to be just stupid! I'll have to buy them myself when I have enough money. In the meantime, perhaps I'll just have to stick with SpongeBob.

Yeah, That Christmas special was ugly. I do have to admit, though, that Animal bonging beer was pretty funny. What bothers me about the Muppets these days is that the voices are bad. I think that whoever does Kermit's voice is HORRIBLE. I think that most any other person that can do a Kermit voice would be better. It just doesn't sound anything like he used to sound. Oh well, I won't lose any sleep over the Muppets, but it's a shame. The Muppets have always been cool. Anytime I'm down, I'll watch a Muppet Movie.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Go Back to forum