• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Congratulations to John Williams

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Congratulations to John Williams

I am just got back from the cinema where I have seen the new Luca's movie:
    Star Wars - Episode III - Revenge of the Sith.
    Guys, the score for this movie is simply OUTSTANDING!!!!!!
    I was very impressed by the use of the innumerable colors of the orchestra to underline every single different moment of the film.
    I don't have many words if not:
    Congratulations to a great Musician and Composer:
    John Williams!

Roberto

Re: Congratulations to John Williams

Stop! Stop! I can't take it anymore! Stop! Got to wait till the 28th when my son and daughter are taking dear old dad out to the cinema show to see it! Stop talking about it furdacripesake will ya! Ah, Magoo! Ya did it again! Ah hahahahaha'!
    Styxx

nah, the guy's lost his edge...you'd think he'd come up with some new opening theme music after 30 years

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    nah, the guy's lost his edge...you'd think he'd come up with some new opening theme music after 30 years
    Copy/Paste

Sorry, if I disagree but after hearing the CD (the film will follow soon), I got the impression that this score was the weakest of all 6.

John Williams usually is a genius when it comes to melodies and working with them. No one can take a motiv or melody and create so many interesting variations on them or do countless transformations (Give a listen to "Zam, the assasin" from Episode 2). He also excels in creating extremely difficult music which sounds very easy to play (just take a look into some of his scores to see what I mean). His orchestrations are becoming better and better over the years, especially since he left that romantic idiom behind him and started to give his music a more harsh and modern edge.

In this score I could find virtually none of these virtues: It all was dull and uninspired, as if he turned on the autopilot. Many passages were copied and pasted from other episodes of Star Wars.

Maybe he is very ill? Mr. Goldsmith wrote that kind of music shortly before he died.

The other possibility is that he got fed up with that moron Lucas and his henchmen, who butchered his music more and more in each consecutive film. Maybe this was his way of saying: "F*** you!".

I think the latter one might me more probable: They have been ruining his work for years, so he simply stopped caring. He just copied the temptrack 1:1 in some passages (don't all directors love this?) and for the rest he simply and quickly wrote some filling background sounds.

The only pieces on the CD that really hat a hint of what he is able to do were "5 - General Grievous" and the last half of "Anakin vs. Obi Wan". Much of the rest shocked me: It was so simple, I would be able to write something like that, if only someone would pay me the money! For me that is a sign of bad music: If I would be able to do something similar...

All of the above is only my humble opinion... I really hope the master is in good health.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Smile Re: Congratulations to John Williams

Quote Originally Posted by musicpete
    Sorry, if I disagree but after hearing the CD (the film will follow soon), I got the impression that this score was the weakest of all 6.

John Williams usually is a genius when it comes to melodies and working with them. No one can take a motiv or melody and create so many interesting variations on them or do countless transformations (Give a listen to "Zam, the assasin" from Episode 2). He also excels in creating extremely difficult music which sounds very easy to play (just take a look into some of his scores to see what I mean). His orchestrations are becoming better and better over the years, especially since he left that romantic idiom behind him and started to give his music a more harsh and modern edge.

In this score I could find virtually none of these virtues: It all was dull and uninspired, as if he turned on the autopilot. Many passages were copied and pasted from other episodes of Star Wars.

Maybe he is very ill? Mr. Goldsmith wrote that kind of music shortly before he died.

The other possibility is that he got fed up with that moron Lucas and his henchmen, who butchered his music more and more in each consecutive film. Maybe this was his way of saying: "F*** you!".

I think the latter one might me more probable: They have been ruining his work for years, so he simply stopped caring. He just copied the temptrack 1:1 in some passages (don't all directors love this?) and for the rest he simply and quickly wrote some filling background sounds.

The only pieces on the CD that really hat a hint of what he is able to do were "5 - General Grievous" and the last half of "Anakin vs. Obi Wan". Much of the rest shocked me: It was so simple, I would be able to write something like that, if only someone would pay me the money! For me that is a sign of bad music: If I would be able to do something similar...

All of the above is only my humble opinion... I really hope the master is in good health.
    Sorry musicpete,
    but I still think that the score for the Third episode is really good.
    Sincerely I don't have seen the first episode and the second I will see better in these days.
    What I have particularly loved in this score (there is much more) is the capability of John Williams to go from a melanconic theme to a brillant one with an incredible easiness.
    Also I am very happy for you if you are able to write something like that write by John Williams.
    Unfortunately I am not at that level, and this is probably the reason I will be always charmed by any John Williams score.
    However I renew my congratulations to this great composer.

Sincerely,
    Roberto

Remember too, though, that Episode III is meant to "tie in" with the original trilogy, so they might have decided to cut back from too many new themes and put more OT music in the film. In that case, re-using music from the other movies kinda makes sense, don't you think?

Hey guys,

After seeing the movie and hearing the CD many times, I feel that I have some sort of undersdtanding as to what John Williams was doing.

The film required four main themes; the force, love, Vader's and the Emperor's. That's really it.

The story is centered around Anakin and his changing releationship with the force, which is why we hear so much of the theme throughout the film. The other crucially element is Anakin and Padme's love theme (Acrossed the Stars). As Anakin falls more and more towards the dark side, his love turns into obsession. If you notice, most of the cues with the love theme in it sound very pained and stressed.

Once Anakin follows the path towards the dark side, we hear Vader's theme creep into the score more frequently. Under that, the emperor's theme is usually written as a juxtaposition. If not, it is normally found somewhere very close.

Four main themes in a film as grande as Epsiode III is very unusual, especially for a Star Wars film. We are used to hearing theme after theme, due to Williams' use of Wagner's leit motif technique. However, in the third installment, John Williams changes his approach a bit. He centers the score around these four themes, then takes a motivic approach, rather than a melodic one.

In my opinion, this is a brilliant move. It reinforces the idea that we are moving from a quasi-peaceful existance, the Republic, to one that relies on terror and violence, the Empire. I see the Republic as a sweeping, more romantic place, and the Empire as a harsh, strict envioronment, perfect for motivic counterpoint.

We have to take one other thing into account, and that's John Williams himself. Almost thirty years have gone by since he first began this film score saga with Episode IV: A New Hope. His approach is bound to change. It is both impolite and imposible to assume that he would keep the same style for thirty years. Geez, I've been composing for ten and can tell that my style is changing already.

Analysis, these are just my thoughts. I hope that my analysis of the film has helped. It seems to make since to me, at least. John Williams, is by far, my favorite composer of all time. His music has had a great influence on the way I write and I truely hope that he is composing for a while longer. I can't wait to hear the score for "The War of the Worlds".

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Jonny,

Excellent analysis.

Karl

Thumbs up Re: Congratulations to John Williams

Jonny, I shall keep my ears open and follow your analysis. Yet, without seeing and hearing, you make "film score" sense!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum