• Register
  • Help

Topic: valkyrie

this is a bit far from the usual stuff i do but i've been having a bad attack of lethargy lately so i decided to have a crack at this jolly tune. it was a bit beyond me i think (there are a few of the dreaded machineguns here.) but i had to do something to get out of the rut so here's Wagner's Ride of the Valkyrie. and apart from the voices, all done with GPO (10 instruments and a computer gasping for breath).

as usual all tips, comments and offers of free beer gratefully accepted

mick ó c

Re: valkyrie

I was hoping someone would get around to doing this piece as I thought (along with Sibelius' Karelia Intermezzo) it would really test the library and stretch the poor person trying to make it sound realistic (with all the 'physically impossible' trills and runs, expressiveness of the brass sections, and so on). Its very strong on the opening string lines and as good as and better in terms of midi-delivery than many of the arrangements 'out there' (eg on http://www.classicalarchives.com/midi/w.html) so be pleased with what you've done. Some tips if you can be bothered:

- use tonality changes in the trills and runs to minimise the machine stutter
    - don't be afraid to play the trills out of time (hear the opening lines of this midi arrangement, it's not as good as yours, but listen to the woodwind at the beginning of : http://www.classicalarchives.com/m/4/valkyrie.mid to see what I mean)
    - the piece sounds a bit metronomic - slow it down when you want to 'express' - I don't know if anyone saw the Valkyries on BBC2 a couple of weeks ago - I swear the orchestra played this piece at half-speed in places but my did it tingle my spine!

Very brave to take this on!

thanks for the tips and for listening.

i was wondering if you'd mind expanding onthe idea of different tonality on the trills.

actually i've been thinking of doing some sibelius stuff for a while now, maybe i'll chance the intermezzo from the karelia suite.heh heh

mick ó c

"i was wondering if you'd mind expanding onthe idea of different tonality on the trills."

I just meant using VAR1/VAR2 knobs/programming to get variability in timbre and tuning. I think Tom Hopkins did a brilliant tutorial on this somewhere if you hunt around this forum!

Wow. It takes real courage to take this piece on with a live orchestra, let alone a box full of wires... lol.

But by damn, you've done a creditable job of it, so far.

Others have made some fine technical suggestions, and I will not add to them; but to say, keep at it -- I think you can bring this one home with a little more work.

I duly doff my cap to the hard work on this one!

Talking Re: valkyrie

Well done,I shudder to think at the work that went in to this one.
    But now that you have done the hardest bit,how long do you think it will take to do the rest of "The Ring".

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    how long do you think it will take to do the rest of "The Ring".
    i'll just stick to the red corner of it i think.

Go Back to forum