• Register
  • Help

Topic: One more Mozart "March of the Priests"

Share/Bookmark

One more Mozart "March of the Priests"

Still overcoming the learning curve. Thought I would do one more Mozart then move on. This is dedicated to my late friend and buddy, Loki.

March of the Priests
    Last edited by valhalx; 05-22-2005 at 12:56 PM. Reason: re-tweeked file
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Re: One more Mozart "March of the Priests"

Very nice!
    I don't come here to the demo forum too often, (I dont' know what that has to do with this post, but whatever) but you created a very interesting sound here. It sounded very choir-like, very singing. Did you use some of the pipe organ flutes? It seems like it. Very nice sound.
    The tempo seems very rigid and too precise for this type of music IMHO. Have you read Dainelle's tutorials on enseamble building? They really help you to get the most out of GPO. However, this was only noticable in a couple of spots.

Overall, I really enjoyed the peice! Great job!

-Chris

CP is right. You have a nice sound but the timing is too stilted and staccato. Try varying the timing between tracks, slightly. Try overlapping the notes slightly for a more legato effect. Try varying the volume during the notes and overall to give a more dynamic effect.

The change at 1:09 is a shock to the system.....like a skeleton suddenly throwing all his clothes off! I don't know the original well enough, but presumably this is the way it is....the shock could be ameliorated by a change in volume/dynamics before the change.

Just a few thoughts......probably mostly wrong!

Frank

Hardy,
    Point well taken. I did some tweeking. Made the legatos smoother, added a little tempo bending and reworked final passage. Tell me if you think it's improved.

(I replaced the file, so click on the original link)

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Very nice!
    I don't come here to the demo forum too often, (I dont' know what that has to do with this post, but whatever) but you created a very interesting sound here. It sounded very choir-like, very singing. Did you use some of the pipe organ flutes? It seems like it. Very nice sound.
    The tempo seems very rigid and too precise for this type of music IMHO. Have you read Dainelle's tutorials on enseamble building? They really help you to get the most out of GPO. However, this was only noticable in a couple of spots.

Overall, I really enjoyed the peice! Great job!

-Chris
    Thanks. The piece is scored for 2 each of flutes, Basset horns (clarinets as substitute), bassoons, F horns, one each of alto, tenor and bass trombone, and strings.

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    Still overcoming the learning curve. Thought I would do one more Mozart then move on. This is dedicated to my late friend and buddy, Loki.

March of the Priests
    Val,

Another fine work! You are becoming quite the jedi demo master.

I agree with Chris that it is choir-like and sings. The style and period of the piece seems to dictate the dynamic and timing more than your rendition.

I thought you did a marvelous job.

Keep up the great work and I'll try to get you those Bassett horns.

Gary Garitan

Thanks. I'm not quite satisfied with it yet but have moved on. Gotta keep exploring. Basset horns would be cool. An expanded tuba section would be good too, for Wagner.
    Val

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

I think I might take this more legato in places were I doing it, and maybe just a slightly "larger" room on it.

But I must say -- the timbres in places were impressively done. And I'd go with Gary on the dynamics and tempi, which are really quite on the mark for the period.

Good job! A pleasure to listen to it.

And don't worry too much about that learning curve: I think we're all permanently riding it in here... lol... myself, especially.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Valhalx -

Listening to it, I thought it sounded great. Of course, at this point, I'm listening to your corrected version. I didn't notice there was anything wrong in the dynamics or feel of the piece (but then again, I'm not familiar with this piece ).

Regardless, I enjoyed it very much. Another fine example of what GPO can do!

- Michael
    -----------------------------
    - Michael Fortunato

Go Back to forum