• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO/Sibelius midi playback delay problems!

Share/Bookmark

GPO/Sibelius midi playback sudden latency problems!

I'm suddenly having serious midi playback problems with Sibelius 3.1/GPO Studio 1.2. Strangely, they only seem to have appeared after I first installed my Logic 7.0 to 7.1 upgrade, and this even though when I use Sibelius Logic isn't even open (so I'm not sure if there really is a connection, but it seems conspicuous?)

Now there is significant latency on playback of GPO instruments (and I've tried setting the GPO Studio buffer to the lowest value to no avail, and have also un-and-re-installed GPO Studio). This makes live midi recording impossible. Can somebody please help? I'm pulling my hair out!
    - robjohn
    --------
    Powermac G5 dual 2 ghz, Mac OS X 10.9, 4 gigs ram, Logic 7.1, Sibelius 3.1, GPO Studio 1.2, GPO, midisport 2x2 interface, Apple built-in audio for sound

Re: GPO/Sibelius midi playback sudden latency problems!

On further reflection, it's possible that the problem surfaced when I upgraded from Logic 6.4 to Logic 7.0 (I updated to 7.1 a day later). I have no idea why this should affect GPO playback using GPO Studio in Sibelius (especially with Logic closed), but its the only thing I can think of that's changed. Just FYI, I have GPO set up within Logic as several separate instances of multi-instruments (though, again, when I experience this Sibelius problem Logic is closed).

Thanks for any help!
    - robjohn

Re: GPO/Sibelius midi playback delay problems!

Very strange. I finally tried opening another file in Sibelius using the same GPO Studio setup and the midi latency problem went away. So something inherent in that particular Sibelius file must have been the culprit, but I can't for the life of me figure out what. Thankfully I just had gotten started with this file so it's no biggee to start up a new one....
    - robjohn

Re: GPO/Sibelius midi playback delay problems!

Quote Originally Posted by robjohn
    Very strange. I finally tried opening another file in Sibelius using the same GPO Studio setup and the midi latency problem went away. So something inherent in that particular Sibelius file must have been the culprit, but I can't for the life of me figure out what. Thankfully I just had gotten started with this file so it's no biggee to start up a new one....
    - robjohn
    Well, sometimes it happens that a particular file displays some quirk, nothing functions right, and you will never find the solution. Most of the time when I experience it, I simply copy the music and paste it to a new file, and the problem vanishes. Worst case, enter it again in a new file.

This is not always the case. Sometimes an apparently unrelated application or driver on you computer can cause really strange effects. The problem then becomes finding which one, not always so easy.

Richard

Go Back to forum