• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Should my dad get GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Should my dad get GPO?

I'm about to become a new GPO owner thanks to the group buy! So I don't as yet have any real experience with it. However I'm wonering if I should have my dad also purchase a copy. He's a retired musician and has started doing charts on his PC, and been complaining about the chessy onboard sounds. GPO would certainly solve that, but I've a couple of areas of concern.

First his system is a tad under the recomended spec (AMD 1.67GHz, 608Mb RAM). Will this work at all? He won't really be pushing the system for extream realism, just something better than the onboard sounds. Typically he is writing 8-17 parts and wants them to sound sort-of OK.

Second I'm not sure if it is possible to integrate with his notation program. He is totally interested in notation, I can barely get him to acknowledge piano roll. But he is using a cheap program called Printmusic 2004 - which I understand is a less than bare bones (i.e. dirt-cheap) sibling of Finale. As far as I can tell this only plays back via a built in soundfont player (but I'm not certain about this). So I'm wondering what would be the best way to interact with GPO from this or another notation progam (freeware?). Of course if he got the full version there would be Overture. The thing is he's real price sensitive because in some ways it is not important to him, and yet he does spend a lot of time working on arrangments - so who knows?

Any advice, even if it's not part of my questions would be appreciated.

thanks
    rodger

Re: Should my dad get GPO?

Quote Originally Posted by raino
    I'm about to become a new GPO owner thanks to the group buy! So I don't as yet have any real experience with it. However I'm wonering if I should have my dad also purchase a copy. He's a retired musician and has started doing charts on his PC, and been complaining about the chessy onboard sounds. GPO would certainly solve that, but I've a couple of areas of concern.

First his system is a tad under the recomended spec (AMD 1.67GHz, 608Mb RAM). Will this work at all? He won't really be pushing the system for extream realism, just something better than the onboard sounds. Typically he is writing 8-17 parts and wants them to sound sort-of OK.

Second I'm not sure if it is possible to integrate with his notation program. He is totally interested in notation, I can barely get him to acknowledge piano roll. But he is using a cheap program called Printmusic 2004 - which I understand is a less than bare bones (i.e. dirt-cheap) sibling of Finale. As far as I can tell this only plays back via a built in soundfont player (but I'm not certain about this). So I'm wondering what would be the best way to interact with GPO from this or another notation progam (freeware?). Of course if he got the full version there would be Overture. The thing is he's real price sensitive because in some ways it is not important to him, and yet he does spend a lot of time working on arrangments - so who knows?

Any advice, even if it's not part of my questions would be appreciated.

thanks

If he gets GPO, he can use the included overture. Lots of people here seem to like it. I don't. I too prefer the notation screen, but now and then use the piano roll.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    If he gets GPO, he can use the included overture. Lots of people here seem to like it. I don't. I too prefer the notation screen, but now and then use the piano roll.

Richard
    My understanding is that the group buy does not include Overture. When you say "notation screen" are you implying that there is a notation interface inside of GPO itself, that is not part of Overture?

Since I don't actually posess a copy of GPO myself, I don't quite understand how all the pieces really fit together. And once I get my copy it would be too late for him to take advantage of the group buy.
    rodger

Quote Originally Posted by raino
    My understanding is that the group buy does not include Overture. When you say "notation screen" are you implying that there is a notation interface inside of GPO itself, that is not part of Overture?

Since I don't actually posess a copy of GPO myself, I don't quite understand how all the pieces really fit together. And once I get my copy it would be too late for him to take advantage of the group buy.
    I was not aware that overture was not included in the group buy. No notation in GPO, only sounds.

Richard

Overture is included on disc 4 of GPO. Therefore, if you buy GPO, you also have bought Overture.

1.67ghz AMD? 600+ MB of RAM? No problem, man! GPO worked on my 1.3ghz P4 with 384mb RAM without a hitch.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

You guys need to go back and read the group buy offer. It does NOT include disk 4 for people who buy from Garritan; it IS included in the "special" purchase for UKers.

So, no, your dad wouldn't get Overture SE with GPO. I have PrintMusic 2004 but I've never tried to use it with GPO because I'm using Sonar 4 PE and right now I'm still inputing printed music I have while learning how to use all this stuff. When I get comfortable with everything and start doing my own stuff, I'll probably use Overture because it is specifically made to work well with GPO (and I can't afford to buy Sibelius or Finale because I would rather spend that money on Advanced, Jazz and Big Band Ensemble and Solo Stradivari Violin).

Tom

Ok, that explains it then. I just assumed that the group buy was for all 4 discs.

Quote Originally Posted by zircon_st
    1.67ghz AMD? 600+ MB of RAM? No problem, man! GPO worked on my 1.3ghz P4 with 384mb RAM without a hitch.
    Great, one obstacle out of the way.

TomcatII, could I impose upon you to take a peek from inside Printmusic and see if GPO shows up there.

thanks
    rodger

Quote Originally Posted by zircon_st
    Are you using FULL ORCHESTRA ? I have around same P4 + 2gig

Go Back to forum