• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 registration - two computers

Share/Bookmark

GS3 registration - two computers

I've been experimenting with GS at gigs so I am using GS2.5 on both my home and gigging computers. Obviously, I use only one at a time and I *think* that is within the license. From a registration standpoint that is no problem with GS2.

If I upgrade to GS3 can I still do this or do I have to purchase a second "site" license for my gigging computer?

All the posts about the GS3 registration process are starting to worry me.

Thanks

Ernie

Re: GS3 registration - two computers

I think you need to buy a second license. That's what a confused sounding tech soupport person tried to tell me to do when I asked if there was any licence-screw up risk involved with removing giga from 1 machine and installing it on another.

Eventually I'll want to do this too. Let me know what the price tag amounts to.

Belbin

From what I know from personal experience, you get two registrations. If you get a new computer you would have to call have have one registration released so you could use it on your new computer. It is sort of like Finale for instance. If you want more registrations you have to buy a site liscense I believe.

But, to install GS 3 you have to completely remove GS2 from your system, so I'd try to keep GS 2.5 on one system and purchase GS 3 upgrade for another system... I've been pondering this as well, using a laptop with 2.5 and some of the piano's I bought that don't sound as good as giga piano 2 with the impulse's! I do know a second licence key is less expensive then purchasing all over!

Quote Originally Posted by seclusion
    But, to install GS 3 you have to completely remove GS2 from your system, so I'd try to keep GS 2.5 on one system and purchase GS 3 upgrade for another system... I've been pondering this as well, using a laptop with 2.5 and some of the piano's I bought that don't sound as good as giga piano 2 with the impulse's! I do know a second licence key is less expensive then purchasing all over!
    I think that's the wise move. I still have a stable version of 2.5.
    I thought you can only have GS 3 on one machine. With it's quirky authorization and not being accessable on the weekends, it looks like I have 5 authorizations.
    As much as I love Gigastudio, their new method of authorization has it's faults.

With Kontakt, they allow you 2 machines because some people also use laptops along with their desktop. Their registration is easy and I may consider using Kontakt.

Quote Originally Posted by seclusion
    For that I would need a third system. Since I am a "Holiday Inn lounge lizard (Bill Murray)" performer I'm not doing much music creation on the home system. Nevertheless it needs to have the same software as the gigging system so it can be used for editing. I don't always feel like setting up my gigging system just because I want to audition/edit a sound.

This discussion is part of a "switch to Kontakt" vs "upgrade to GS3" buying decision.

Ernie

Frankly Giga is rather stingy with their licencing - considering how many people need to run multiple giga system networks (and the hefty pricetag for GS3 in the first place) it wouldn't kill them to be at least a *little* easier going in allowing a couple of networked installs...

I think they should take a cue from Alias Maya which allows 9,999 licences for networking purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    Frankly Giga is rather stingy with their licencing - considering how many people need to run multiple giga system networks (and the hefty pricetag for GS3 in the first place) it wouldn't kill them to be at least a *little* easier going in allowing a couple of networked installs...

I think they should take a cue from Alias Maya which allows 9,999 licences for networking purposes.
    I actually feel bad for the PC platform developers. It's not like DAW's are a static product. With the need to know how to tweak the system comes the knowledge and confidence to do so. That means the systems are always changing and the developer has to strike a balance between stopping the thief and pissing off an active musician.

Maybe the manufacturers should get together and imbed software readable serial numbers into audio cards, similar to the network card's MAC address, so they can be used as "dongles".

Ernie

Go Back to forum