• Register
  • Help

Topic: time signatures other than 4/4 - RMX Stylus

Share/Bookmark

time signatures other than 4/4 - RMX Stylus

Hi there,

Sorry for what might be a simple question but what are people doing for 3/4 (mainly) - sometime 5/4 and 6/8 time signatures. My workaround has been to get into to the 'midi files' and alter them (from drag and drop), but that takes more time than I wanted to spend. Any other faster way to produced drum track in this library for non 4/4 time signatures?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: time signatures other than 4/4 - RMX Stylus

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Elliott
    Hi there,

Sorry for what might be a simple question but what are people doing for 3/4 (mainly) - sometime 5/4 and 6/8 time signatures. My workaround has been to get into to the 'midi files' and alter them (from drag and drop), but that takes more time than I wanted to spend. Any other faster way to produced drum track in this library for non 4/4 time signatures?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
    Rob, In this forum we dealt with the same dilemma, about one month ago.
    Search and read this discussion; personally I find this one of the major
    weaknessies in the otherwise so magnificent RMX. Harry

Thanks Harry O, I'll search and check it out. I have 'rearranged' the midi file to come up with something close - that with 'choas' has proven OK results but always looking for a better way. Thanks.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

I just wrote a piece in 7/8 using RMX. I used the expansion Backbeat library (all the grooves are pretty clear-cut, clean 4/4 grooves.

the trick/workaround for me is to put the groove in 'Groove menu' mode. Then I push the key down until 7 and then push it down again on 1. It is surpringly effective. As for fill, the same thing. Just let the key up at the right time and it kind of does the job.

When I needed more specific fills, I loaded the same groove but put it in 'Slice menu' mode. I then entered the fill in by hand. (Although the other method I just thought of would be to use the choas function too...I bet that would have worked as well.)

But the thing is I needed specific places for accents and chaos wouldn't do that for some of the fills I needed.

Anyway, that's the work around I've been using (Groove menu mode).
    Steve Hanlon, guitarist/composer
    Logic 7, PowerMac DP 2.0 (8- RAM slot model), 4GB RAM, OS 10.4.11
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Lots of V.I. and sound effects
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

To me, writing a piece in non 4/4 meter is not as easy as getting a 4/4 groove and cutting off one bit or an eight note ...etc

The problem is that any 3/4, 6/8, 5/4, 7/8... has specific accents and cultural references that will be absent when starting from a 4/4 loop.

Great when the trick Marty mentioned works, but you will often find that it is lacking because the cultural aspect or the accents are not included in the 4/4 loop.

I think it would be great to see an RMX expander that offers a lot of odd meter loops inspired from various ethnic sources: 6/8 from Africa, 5/4 Greece, 7 and 11 from India etc...

I don't know what the chances are for such a lib to be developped and how high it would be on the priority list but it would take care of the odd meter issue...and beyond, when getting RMX to do its magic on the top of it.

yes, great point! Hopefully that Expander will become a reality.

My little trick only worked with just a striaght popluar/rock kind of feel just as the bAckbeat Expander's personality is.
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

I see many requests here for style specific type of material for RMX.

I'm happy with it cause I took my own loops of the type of material I like to use and made my own rex files and converted them.
    Most of what I use is from my own user library.
    Granted... it's time consuming, and you need to buy ReCycle but the payoff is huge. I learned something in the process. I learned how to get the best results out of ReCycle. It's about a 50/50 split between tedium and artform.

I don't recall any sound collections with odd time signatures. Or very few.
    If there is some style that you just gotta have, you CAN roll your own

By the way, here's an example of the 7/8 where I used mostly 'Groove Menu" mode

http://happytoot.com/music/Stylus_demo.mp3

Toward the end, I loaded in channel 2, the same groove but in Slice Mode. I then went in by hand and made the syncopated fill to the end.

by the way, the 'C' Section (where the guitar is in octaves) is just the original groove in 4/4.

I think it works in this context.
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

Talking Re: time signatures other than 4/4 - RMX Stylus

Fun example! :-)

spectrum

Go Back to forum