• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: Lucas's Ode to Liberalism

Share/Bookmark

Lucas's Ode to Liberalism

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Finally saw Star Wars this weekend. Lucas makes a number of political statements in the movie, not so subtle references to what's going on in the country today.

I especially loved it when a character says with sincerity that the Sith's are only out for themselves and the Jedi want to help everyone. Sounds like some of the debates we've had here on this forum.

Later, Padmay (Padme?) makes a reference to how the takeover of the galaxy is accompanied by the sound of cheers rather than gunfire -- or something to that effect. The scene reminded me of a Bush rally.

Well, we know who wins in the end....
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Re: Lucas's Ode to Liberalism

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    I especially loved it when a character says with sincerity that the Sith's are only out for themselves and the Jedi want to help everyone. Sounds like some of the debates we've had here on this forum.

Well, we know who wins in the end....
    So what you're saying here is - the Sith are Republicans and the Jedi are Democrats? Is that what you're saying?

I see.

No Political Subtext To Episode III?

George Lucas, director of the upcoming Star Wars: Episode III—Revenge of the Sith, told reporters at the Cannes Film Festival that he never intended the movie to comment on the current political situation in the real world. Appearing at the European premiere of Episode III, Lucas said that he never thought about the Middle East, George W. Bush or voter fraud when writing the script for the final prequel in the epic space saga.

"When I wrote it [the] Iraq [war] didn't exist," Lucas said. "We were just funding Saddam Hussein and giving him weapons of mass destruction. We didn't think of him as an enemy at that point. We were going after Iran and using him as our surrogate. This really came out of the Vietnam era."

In the prequels, which culminate in Episode III, Lucas said he wanted to explore how a democracy turns into a dictatorship: how it gets "given" away. Back in the mid-1970s, when he first conceived of the Star Wars saga, Lucas said that he "went back into history and began to study a great deal about things like ancient Rome, such as why did the Senate, after killing Caesar, turn around [and] give the government to his nephew? Why did France, after they got rid of the King, turn around and give it to Napoleon? You sort of see these recurring themes, where a democracy turns itself over to a dictator. It always seems to happen kind of in the same way, with the same kinds of issues and threats from the outside and needing more control and a democratic body not being able to function properly because everybody is squabbling and there is corruption. This is seen as you go through history, but I didn't think it was going to get this close. I hope this doesn't come true in America. Maybe the film will awaken people to how dangerous a democracy can be when it's subverted."

Lucas added that Episodes I, II and III explore how a good person can be transformed into a bad person. "Most bad people think they are good people, and they are doing it for the right reasons," Lucas said. "The other core element of the film is condensing things down to very simple levels. And in this particular case, greed and self-centeredness being the root of a personality that will become so self-absorbed that it will hurt and corrupt everyone around them." (scifiwire)

Marc, I read this before I posted and I wouldn't trust what Lucas says. He doesn't want to wreck his opening weekend. And by the way, it isn't subtext. It's right there for all to see.

Lucas did NOT write all the scripts back in the seventies. If he had, why would he hire OTHER writers to write Empire and Return?

Anyone who knows anything about the way the filmmaking process works knows that the script went through a number of rewrites over the years before it was finally made. The general thrust of the story was outlined, but the actual lines I'm talking about are clearly directed at today's political climate.

And PaulR, yes, the Sith are Republicans (or at least TODAY'S republicans) and the Jedi are Democrats. It's pretty clear.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    St. Martin's Press

While I normally try to avoid specific Republican/Democrat war, since neither party really represents me totally (although I definitely lean a lot more right than left), you (Rob) might be interested in knowing some things about the Democratic party that is so full of "good guys" and is always looking out for the underdog in it's quest for good winning out over evil.....

I don't intend to start a flame war or get anybody banned in a heated debate (that includes Rob). I do intend to let you know that this whole political "Good versus Evil thing" is sh*t, and both sides need to eventually come to at least some common ground even though having differences of opinion helps to make our country strong. My point of posting this part isn't to exclusively rip on Democrats, but to just make y'all aware that you might not neccesarily know as much about the history of your party as you think you do. That said, guess who is being named in an upcoming reparations lawsuit (not that I think any money should be awarded, anyway)???? Yup. Democrats. In fact, there is a book that you might be interested in reading. I saw a speech by the author the other day. The book is called "Unfounded Loyalty"

An In-depth Look Into The Love Affair Between Blacks & Democrats

· Democrats opposed the Abolitionist

· Democrats supported slavery and fought and gave their lives to expand it

· Democrats supported and passed the Fugitive Slave Laws of 1793 & 1854

· Democrats supported and passed the Missouri Compromise to protect slavery

· Democrats supported and passed the Kansas Nebraska Act to expand slavery

· Democrats supported and backed the Dred Scott Decision

· Democrats supported and passed Jim Crow Laws

· Democrats supported and passed Black Codes

· Democrats opposed educating blacks and murdered our teachers

· Democrats opposed the Reconstruction Act of 1867

· Democrats opposed the Freedman’s Bureau as it pertained to blacks

· Democrats opposed the Emancipation Proclamation

· Democrats opposed the 13th , 14th, and 15th Amendments to end slavery, make black citizens and give blacks the right to vote

· Democrats opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1866

· Democrats opposed the Civil Right Act of 1875 and had it overturned by U.S. Supreme Court

· Various Democrats opposed the 1957 Civil Rights Acts

· Various Democrats argued against the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Acts

· Various Democrats argued against the passage of the 1965 Voting Rights Acts

· Various Democrats voted against the 1972 Equal Employment Opportunity Act

· Democrats supported and backed Judge John Ferguson in the case of Plessy v Ferguson

· Democrats supported the School Board of Topeka Kansas in the case of Brown v The Board of Education of Topeka Kansas.

· Southern Democrats opposed desegregation and integration

· Democrats started and supported several terrorist organizations including the Ku Klux Klan, an organization dedicated to use any means possible to terrorize African Americans and those who supported African Americans.”

It's interesting that "good guys" in any party would do this.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

I'm always irked by the sacrificial dichotomy of the Star Wars series. It goes something like this:

You can only choose one of the following:

Sacrifice others to yourself (Sith)
    or
    Sacrifice yourself to others (Jedi)

I reject this false dichotomy. It is possible to live neither for the sake of others, nor to ask others to live for your sake, but rather to trade value for value by voluntarily means to mutual benefit.

I remember when I was playing Knights of the Old Republic (a Star Wars video/computer role-playing game), I got really tired of having to make choices along this dichotomy. I either had to agree with a character that he had no right to what he had earned but rather had to give it all to his "community", or I had to encourage him to be a murderous thief. There was no middle-ground where he could just be a good, honest business man who keeps what he earns and deals fairly with people.

Danimal, don't forget the Vietnam war.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady
    I either had to agree with a character that he had no right to what he had earned but rather had to give it all to his "community", or I had to encourage him to be a murderous thief.
    I don't want to speak for you Brady, but it seems like we agree that these two characters, at least from a political standpoint, are one and the same.

Danimal, the Democratic Party you're speaking of died in the 1960's. Most of those Southern Democrats defected to the Republican Party long ago.

I'm talking about today's republicans vs. today's democrats. Certainly, both parties have, over the years, done things they should be ashamed of. but, generally speaking, today's Republican party seems to be all about "I, me, mine," while the Democratic party speaks of "us."
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    St. Martin's Press

Quote Originally Posted by Brady
    Danimal, don't forget the Vietnam war.
    Oh, and the Vietnam war.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast