• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO + GOS - How do you personally use?

Share/Bookmark

GPO + GOS - How do you personally use?

I tastefully ate the bait, and signed up for the group buy, thinking that I could use the GPO for sketching in Finale or Cubase, and GOS and other samples for doing my final high quality recordings. I'd be curious the other owners use both sets or what they have found. I primarily do FS and CD work:
    • How are you using both sets of samples (GOS and GPO) in your day to day work?
    • Are you using GPO more nowadays in your final mixes (over GOS++)?
    • What additional samples did you purchase to supplement GOS?
    • What additional techniques did you have to perform when moving from GOS to GPO or GPO to GOS?
    • Did you reduce sample sizes to maximize memory usage for either set? (stereo to mono; 44.1k to 22k? etc)
    • And anything else you want to bring to attention...

Re: GPO + GOS - How do you personally use?

I use GPO for about 70% of my final sounds. I only GOS for things like sordino, harmonics and other items not programmed into GPO. I mix in the SAM Solo Sessions Brass, and use a little Dan Dean woodwinds, QLSO brass and percussion.

GPO in most cases is much easier to use than the other libraries and the sound quality is on par with most of the higher end libraries.

Haydn:

Thanks for the helpful information. What do you find in the SAM Solo Sessions Brass and QL Brass that you dont find in GPO? I have both QL Brass and Dan Dean Solo Brass library.

I use the SAM solo trumpet with ones in GPO for building sections. I do the same thing with the trombones. They compliment each other. I use various brass instruments depending on the style of music also.

I find the QLSO brass jump too much from one velocity layer to the next. The top layer gets too bright and thin for most of my work. The SAM brass just sounds fuller to me. SAM also uses filtering between layers for smoother transitions. I've reprogrammed most of the SAM instrument's to conform to GPO's programming (CC1-modulation controls volume for example).

My french horns are usually built up of mostly GPO horns with layering between SAM and QLSO.

I vary the bass trombones and tubas depending on the sound I'm looking for. None of the libraries are perfect which is why I grab instruments from multiple libraries.

Sounds like I need a healthy dose of SAM Brass to complement GPO, QLB, and Dan Dean...

If you don't need them yesterday, you might want to wait and see what is included with GPO Advanced since Gary said there would be SOME of the SAM brass in Advanced. Then you could fill in with what is missing for you.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomcatII
    If you don't need them yesterday, you might want to wait and see what is included with GPO Advanced since Gary said there would be SOME of the SAM brass in Advanced. Then you could fill in with what is missing for you.

Tom
    COol! Seems I should hang tight - both on samples and hardware these days!

Go Back to forum