• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: The news is out: Apple to Use Intel Processors

Share/Bookmark

The news is out: Apple to Use Intel Processors

A report in Reuters is speculating about talks that could lead to the use of Intel chips in Macs.

"The report, citing two industry executives with knowledge of recent discussions between the companies, said Apple will agree to use Intel chips... It was unclear whether such a move would signal a large-scale shift away from chips made by IBM, Apple's longtime supplier, the report said."...

Adopting Intel chips would help ensure that future Macintosh systems could meet the price and performance of products from tough rivals such as Dell Inc.

Apple's pricing, which has often been higher than rivals, could become more competitive if Intel provides the kind of marketing subsidies it has given to other computer makers, the newspaper said.

Apple sells only about three million computers a year -- a small portion of the estimated 200 million sold globally.

But for Intel, winning over Apple would be a prestigious endorsement from one of technology's most influential trend-setters and could associate the chipmaker with Apple's hugely popular iPod music player."

Re: Apple to Use Intel Processors?

I'd be skeptical of these rumours for the Mac.

However, for the iPod, I think it would make sense, since the Intel PXA2xx offering allows for a more portable Media experience than what is currently offered in the iPod.

"Using Intel chips...makes it...theoretically possible...(to) install Windows on Macintosh systems..."
    WSJ 5/23/05

Hmmm...would I love that or what??? I love Mac's...I hate being part of a 3% tech population.

Of course, future support of Windows is far from established, again per the WSJ.

Still, it would make sense for the iPod, if they wanted to start moving toward games, or the ubiq. phone space.

Apple is making some decent money off Windows users with iPods.

Apple is making money with iPod period! =)

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    Apple is making money with iPod period! =)

Probably they are, but not from me. I recently got a Zen Micro, and am amazed and pleased. It has only 5 Gig space, but that it far more than I expect to use. I am only loading my own compositions.

Richard

About the iPods, I have two (my wife and I) and I don't know what I'd do without it! I love it soo much. I have the 20 gigs and it seems that I need to upgarde to the 40... my pod is almost full- I mean with all the symphonies that take up space
    http://www.jamesjumonville.com

Captain Hook (if you see Pan let me know!)

Quote Originally Posted by capt_hook
    About the iPods, I have two (my wife and I) and I don't know what I'd do without it! I love it soo much. I have the 20 gigs and it seems that I need to upgarde to the 40... my pod is almost full- I mean with all the symphonies that take up space
    Well, Cappy, I have a 40 gig iPod, and I only use around 2 gig worth, and hardly use it:

1) iTUnes doen't always have what I want, and I am not willing to but any more CD's.
    2) Out of all the mega and obscure classical music I have, I only like a few pieces and I play them over and over and over.
    3) I usually use my laptop to listen to music anyway.
    4) Sound quality sucks.

So, I am not sure what the fuss is all about in the end. Be more fun if it was enabled with Cubase!

Go Back to forum