• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dumb GS 2.5 question...

Share/Bookmark

Dumb GS 2.5 question...

I'm an old GS2.5 user. I have a question I should have asked back when GS first came out, duh! Tonight I popped in GOS and i was playing with the Grand Sustains on the GS virtual keyboard. Has anyone noticed how if you hold down the mouse button you can gliss up and down the keys, and the legato sounds really smooth? I mean it always sounds better than if i sequence a line, what's going on in there and how can I duplicate this effect with my controller/sequencer?

Thanks!

Rick

Re: Dumb GS 2.5 question...

I've noticed that in giga-3, and can't answer, but I'll be watching this thread closely, as my very sanity depends on knowing the secret of the magic giga keyboard. If any one out there has the answer, you've got a captive audience of at least two.

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    I've noticed that in giga-3, and can't answer, but I'll be watching this thread closely, as my very sanity depends on knowing the secret of the magic giga keyboard. If any one out there has the answer, you've got a captive audience of at least two.

Belbin
    Thanks for showing interest, i probably should have posted this in the ever popular sampling forum! If i don't get any hits here i guess I'll try it over there.

Rick

I want to know too!!

I have a theory.

I assume you're probably talking about legato samples that are a little "expressive", as in, they start a little soft and warm up as they play.

If that's the case, then the difference is probably this:

In your compositions, you're using velocities somewhere in the 64 and below range. In a lot of string libraries, this puts more expressiveness into the sample.

The keyboard in giga plays a default velocity of 100 or more. So there is less expressiveness in the sample.

You can test this two ways. I think Giga 3 lets you change the velocity of its keyboard, so lower it and see what it does.

In Giga 2.5, try opening one of your sequences, and raising all the velocities to at least 100, and maybe higher.

Post back after you try it. I'm curious whether I'm right or not.

Go Back to forum