• Register
  • Help

Topic: Laptop or Desktop?

Share/Bookmark

Laptop or Desktop?

I am new to Garritan, but so far I am extremely impressed with the program. Every instrument I have heard sounds very musical and realistic.

Right now, I am using a Mac 15" Powerbook with 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB of RAM, and am using Digital Performer. I am just wondering if this current set-up has enough power to run Garritan without experiencing overloads of RAM or audio crackles/problems. Does anyone have a similiar situation or set-up who can offer an opinion and advice? I would like to be able to use a good portion of the orchestra and am a little worried that using a laptop to run it may not have enough capability.

Should I trade my Powerbook in for MAC G5 desktop? I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Re: Laptop or Desktop?

hi, Angelwings3978!
    Welcome to the NS cult!
    Your processor sounds a bit weak, but your RAM is absolutely fine. I don't use mac or digital performer, so I'm not familiar to how that works, but that system, I'm pretty sure, in windows would be fine for GPO use.

If you were to upgrade computers, I would highly recomend a desktop. They are MUCH more expandible....and cheap!!

Hope this helps,
    -Chris

Hi angelwings3918

I too use Digital Performer, but I don't use GPO on the Mac, I use it on a separate PC. I just recently purchased a new G5 dual 2.0 ghz., and I can say that from speaking to a few other folks about desktops verses laptops, you should unload that powerbook on Ebay for a song and get a desktop. One thing I have learned about Mac computers, they really have a great resale value on Ebay. I bought my G4 dual 1 ghz machine from Ebay and used it for a little over a year. It ended up costing me $24.00 a month when I subtracted what I sold it for, from what I paid..... not a bad deal at all.

Just my thoughts

Welcome to the forum!

dpDan

I use a laptop with an Althon 64 1.8Ghz processor and 512MB of RAM, and I get incredible performance with GPO. I'm able to run a full orchestra comprised of the "Plr" patches and still have decent CPU usage. I also use Sonar, so I can freeze certain tracks, thus allowing me to add even more tracks, lol. I really can't say how a MAC lines up with a PC, but I would say you should be fine running GPO.

That's my take on it, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by mscmixer
    I use a laptop with an Althon 64 1.8Ghz processor and 512MB of RAM, and I get incredible performance with GPO. I'm able to run a full orchestra comprised of the "Plr" patches and still have decent CPU usage. I also use Sonar, so I can freeze certain tracks, thus allowing me to add even more tracks, lol. I really can't say how a MAC lines up with a PC, but I would say you should be fine running GPO.

That's my take on it, at least.
    Jesus that is quite a feat? only 512 mb? Whats your biggest tutti chord?

Yeah, the first time I loaded GPO up, and I'm thinking "Oh man, I'll probably get about 10 instruments or so." Then I kept adding more and more(and getting happier and happier, might I add ). I can squeeze in around 15 or so patches for a tutti. Usually I freeze the tracks before recording them though, which allows me to make a full orchestral tutti. But, yeah, I can't thank Gary & Co. enough for making GPO so efficient. I never guessed I'd be able to do so much on the system I have.

Hopefully GPO Advanced will work as good.

Go Back to forum