• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: Hitachi Hard Drive - Fast Access Times

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Hitachi Hard Drive - Fast Access Times

    According to this review in Tom's Hardware...

    http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20050523/index.html

    ...the latest Hitachi drives have the fastest random access read times this side of a Raptor.

    I don't own one, so I can't say how quiet or reliable they are, but this might be the best solution for a 7,200 RPM sample drive.

    Sure, you can get a Raptor, but they're less than 1/3 the size, and are likely louder, due to their 10k speed. Dollar per GB is likely better with the 7,200 rpm drives as well.

    -JF

  2. #2

    Re: Hitachi Hard Drive - Fast Access Times

    Thanks, Jon!
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

  3. #3

    Re: Hitachi Hard Drive - Fast Access Times

    Would this be better than the new Maxtor Diamond MAX10 for o/s and programs, Audio or Samples..or all 3? Best Rich

  4. #4

    Re: Hitachi Hard Drive - Fast Access Times

    Maybe sometime soon it'll get even quieter....?

    http://news.techwhack.com/1290/25050...-flash-memory/

  5. #5

    Re: Hitachi Hard Drive - Fast Access Times

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Pell
    Would this be better than the new Maxtor Diamond MAX10 for o/s and programs, Audio or Samples..or all 3? Best Rich
    Hi Rich,

    According to the benchmark, the Hitachi beats the Maxtor in most cases, but not by a huge margin. So, the Hitachi would be best in all cases, performance-wise. I'm a quiet PC hound though, and without noise tests, I can't say which is really better.

    On the conclusion page the article mentions that the Samsung Spinpoint P120 has the fastest transfer rates. Fast random access (Raptor & Hitachi) is good for the OS, databases and samples. Fast transfer rates are good for programs, large photos, streaming music and video.

    -JF

  6. #6

    Re: Hitachi Hard Drive - Fast Access Times

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterMR
    Maybe sometime soon it'll get even quieter....?

    http://news.techwhack.com/1290/25050...-flash-memory/
    And if the architecture is good, random access read times should beat the heck out of mechanical hard drives.

    Silent and fast... I'll take it!

    -JF

  7. #7

    Re: Hitachi Hard Drive - Fast Access Times

    Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Hi Rich,

    According to the benchmark, the Hitachi beats the Maxtor in most cases, but not by a huge margin. So, the Hitachi would be best in all cases, performance-wise. I'm a quiet PC hound though, and without noise tests, I can't say which is really better.

    On the conclusion page the article mentions that the Samsung Spinpoint P120 has the fastest transfer rates. Fast random access (Raptor & Hitachi) is good for the OS, databases and samples. Fast transfer rates are good for programs, large photos, streaming music and video.

    -JF
    Hey Jon..thanks and i really appreciate the info... as I`m in the process of putting together a new comp. that will hopefully still be upgradable over the next couple years.( i.e 64-bit and X2 )
    I keep hearing that a couple 300gb Diamond max 10 w/16 mg cache are unbeatable in Raid 0 for Audio. I guess you recommend the Hitachi for my o/s and programs and maybe a couple a big spinpionts for samples?
    I`m also a QuietPC freak so no raptors here . Also the capacities not big enough for me and my frigin` samples.
    What do you think of this setup?
    Gigabyte K8NS-Ultra-939
    A64 3700+ 2.2ghz 1b cache (San Diego)
    Antec Sonata Piano case
    2GB corsair or Kingston DDR3200
    and then all those drives we just mentioned.

    This is for a Production studio , lots of writing to picture (streaming video in Samplitude). I do everything in 32-bit with high end converters, pre`s, mics ,UAD-1 card and lots of VSTi`s etc...
    You seem to inverstigate this stuff fairly thoughly so i just thought you`d be the man I`d ask.. Best, Rich

  8. #8

    Re: Hitachi Hard Drive - Fast Access Times

    Looks good!

    Check out http://www.silentpcreview.com for good recommendations of the other quiet parts. I've got the Seasonic SuperSilencer supply, Thermalright XP-120 heatsink and an older ATI graphics card with no fan.

    I see on the page above that the Raptors now include fluid drive bearings. This is a good trend...

    -JF

  9. #9

    Re: Hitachi Hard Drive - Fast Access Times

    Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Looks good!

    Check out http://www.silentpcreview.com for good recommendations of the other quiet parts. I've got the Seasonic SuperSilencer supply, Thermalright XP-120 heatsink and an older ATI graphics card with no fan.

    I see on the page above that the Raptors now include fluid drive bearings. This is a good trend...

    -JF
    Hmm interesting site..never seen that one, thanks. Ive heard good things about the Seasonics..what size would i need for 3700+? 450w? I`m using the Matrox P650 AGP so lucky i dont need a VGA heatsink..best, Rich

  10. #10

    Re: Hitachi Hard Drive - Fast Access Times

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Pell
    Hmm interesting site..never seen that one, thanks. Ive heard good things about the Seasonics..what size would i need for 3700+? 450w? I`m using the Matrox P650 AGP so lucky i dont need a VGA heatsink..best, Rich
    I run a 400W for my 3000+ Winchester with three Seagate drives. 450W would be a good level for your system.

    One note about the Seasonic PSs - they don't move much air. I keep my case cracked open to help ventilate it, without adding a case fan. I'd like to rig up a plenum so the CPU fan will exhaust to the outside, so it can do double duty.

    -JF

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •