• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need feedback from Imac G5/GPO users

Share/Bookmark

Question Need feedback from Imac G5/GPO users

hi,
    I'm considering to sell my powerbook and buy a imac G5 because i no more really need a laptop and I recently had "cpu power problems" with it.
    I had the opportunity to buy a used imac g5, 1.8 GHz, 1GB of ram and i would like to have some feedback from GPO users working on these types of machines to know if they had "cpu power problems" or other staff.
    Thank you very much for your help
    Michele

Re: Need feedback from Imac G5/GPO users

Quote Originally Posted by crr
    hi,
    I'm considering to sell my powerbook and buy a imac G5 because i no more really need a laptop and I recently had "cpu power problems" with it.
    I had the opportunity to buy a used imac g5, 1.8 GHz, 1GB of ram and i would like to have some feedback from GPO users working on these types of machines to know if they had "cpu power problems" or other staff.
    Thank you very much for your help
    Michele
    Michele,

I have an iMac, G5,1.8 ghz, 2G Ram. It works wonderfully, and I have had no problems using GPO. I have not tried to "max out" the number of instances I can run, but it runs very well.
    You might want to add more memory, if you can.

Good luck.

R. Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Michele,

I have an iMac, G5,1.8 ghz, 2G Ram. It works wonderfully, and I have had no problems using GPO. I have not tried to "max out" the number of instances I can run, but it runs very well.
    You might want to add more memory, if you can.

Good luck.

R. Pearl
    How many instruments are you able to run at one time without CPU overload? And what sequencer or notation program are you using?

Thanks,
    Jeff

If you plan to run Digital Performer 4.5, I highly discourage against any single processor Mac. Get a dual processor, you will be very glad you did.

dpDan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    How many instruments are you able to run at one time without CPU overload? And what sequencer or notation program are you using?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Jeff,

I use Sibelius or Overture to send data to GPO. As I said before, I haven't tried to see what the limit is, but I have been aboe to get a good string octet, with reverb, and my CPU barely hits 40%.

Sorry I can't give more info. I guess if you can afford a dual processor, then do it. The newest iMacs have a a G5 that is 2 ghz - mine is a 1.8; I missed the new version by about 3 weeks...

R. Pearl

Wink Re: Need feedback from Imac G5/GPO users

thanks for your help.
    I can't afford a dual processor. I think i'll buy this imac, the cpu power should be enough: considering that with my powerbook i can manage a small orchestra it should work very well.
    I'll keep 1 GB of ram for now (I have 756 MB on my powerbook and up to now it's fine) and maybe i'll use DFD.
    thanks again for your help

Go Back to forum