• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: musical box sounds ???

Question musical box sounds ???

Hello everyone!

I got this strange request to compose an intro for a song that requires a musical box except.."old Russian type" ..hmmm...is there any musical multisamples out there??

any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Re: musical box sounds ???

Yves, depending on how fast you need it - my mom has one of those old music boxes that I could multisample each tone from for you maybe this weekend? If you don't find it anywhere else - might make a cool Bela D Freebie.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Burbank, CA. US of Mexico

I've got one for you in Kontakt format. I recorded it myself so it's unique. Kontakt me offline if you want it.

Checkout Plugsound's Free module - www.plugsound.com. It's got a music box sample on it that's great, as well as some other really useful guitars and stuff. And it's free.......

I've tried sampling one as well but i had no good mic.
    You'll need something that makes it louder . What you can do is take out the mechanism and "glue" it to an acoustic guitar, then play the notes/metal tongues with a needle . Sounds quite good
    Theo Krueger - Composer

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Hey Yves, you could also check this very nice dry glockenspiel out :

"Contributed by: Steven Parke

Played with both both brass and mallet"

The Glockenspiel Brass sounds a lot like a music box, all you have to do is just make the decay a bit smaller and anti-quantize your notes a bit so it sounds like a music box.
    Theo Krueger - Composer

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Darn all you zealously helpful people. The idea of the Bela D freebie was fantastic, but then along you all come and make it unnecessary....

Thumbs up Re: musical box sounds ???

wow!! hey guys!! thanks sooo much for your help!! that's really cool!
    I have gigastudio and EXS 24.
    Hey Alan ! i'm not so much in a rush but would need to deliver by june 4th or 5th..I would love to hear your samples if it's not too much asking!
    you are very generous !
    let me know what you can do!

this is truly a great forum !!

thanks so much again!!

Hi there,

PM me if you want one i sampled for an album i produced in January.
    It's actually sitting somewhere within the realm of halftones with it's intonation, but i think that makes it all the cooler!

You can pitch shift it to the key if you need too.

Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

Five years ago I wrote a song with intro for piano and music box. I just used the multisample in my Korg is40 and it was charming. A high celeste sound (real or sampled) can do the trick also, especially if it's a bit 'clacky' on the attack. These sounds are very evocative. As for the Russian thing, I'm not sure - I have a concert pianist friend from St. Petersburg who might have some advice. I'll ask Svetlana and let you know if you like.

Go Back to forum