• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is this normal performance w/ GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Is this normal performance w/ GPO?

Last night I used GPO with the Kontakt Player and DP 4.52. I loaded 3 string patches (violins- short bows AG, Violas short bows AG, section strings short bows) using 1 instance of the GPO Kontakt player. I recorded a 30 sec. rhythmic part with 3 note chords on each midi track. After the third part my the CPU meter in DP was peaking in the red.
    I had the buffer size in DP set to 256. My computer is: G4 Dual 1.25 Ghz.,
    w/ 2GB RAM. Is this all I can expect with my computer? Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to improve this performance. Should I expect better or worse performance using the disk streaming function with GPO?

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Is this normal performance w/ GPO?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfetho
    Last night I used GPO with the Kontakt Player and DP 4.52. I loaded 3 string patches (violins- short bows AG, Violas short bows AG, section strings short bows) using 1 instance of the GPO Kontakt player. I recorded a 30 sec. rhythmic part with 3 note chords on each midi track. After the third part my the CPU meter in DP was peaking in the red.
    w/ 2GB RAM. Is this all I can expect with my computer? Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to improve this performance. Should I expect better or worse performance using the disk streaming function with GPO?

Thanks,

Tom
    Im not certain about mac as I have never used one. However, you might want to try to increase the buffer size on both DP and your soundcard on playback. It is good to have it low in recording if your inputing by keyboard but almost pointless on playback.
    Im told that Ram performance is better then disk streaming, but don't quote me on that. If you have 2gb of ram I do not see the need to stream GPO.
    There are probably more experienced users of mac that can answer better. But Iwould try raising the buffer.
    Another thing that comes to mind is effects. Are you using the bundled GPO reverb? It tends to be very hard on the cpu. You can lower the quality of the reverb and get much better performance. Are you loading from the wet or dry folder? Also double check your settings on the player itself and make sure auto convert loaded samples to 32-bit is not checked and what setting is used for the sustain pedal(in most cases minus the piano no sustain/midi cc off the top of my head).

Re: Is this normal performance w/ GPO?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfetho

Thanks,

Tom
    Tom, I don't know if this is an option on the G4, but the G5/OS10 has an option to let the CPU run at full capacity. Look under Energy Saver in the System Preferences, and go to Options. On the G5, the default setting is for energy saving, and doesn't run at full tilt. Change it to Highest, and you'll have much more to work with.

Good luck.

R. Pearl

Go Back to forum