• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The Starry Messenger--a collaboration

Share/Bookmark

The Starry Messenger--a collaboration

I've just posted what may be a unique experiment on this forum, namely a collaboration between two forum members; me, the composer, and Haydn, who created a MIDI realization of the score.

Back in 2001, I wrote an orchestral work as a season-opener for the Terre Haute Symphony Orchestra, which I called "The Starry Messenger." I posted a PDF of the score on my website shortly after.

A few months ago, Haydn let me know that he'd downloaded the score and had decided to create a MIDI realization of it. Apparently this is what he does for fun!

He sent me the result a while ago, and with his permission, I've posted it on my website. This whole thing came as a pleasant surprise to me. I was really impressed with Haydn's work, and flattered that he thought my score was interesting enough to justify all that work.

The Starry Messenger (MP3; 9578 kb).
    And here's the score if you want to follow along.

I'll let Haydn chime in about the production when he has a chance. Suffice to say, most of the instruments are GPO, along with a few other libraries.

Enjoy!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: The Starry Messenger--a collaboration

Dan and Haydn,

I have only one word for you both:
    Brilliant!

Karl

I recorded this while on vacation in December. It was quite a relaxing vacation just sitting at home and doing Dan's wonderful piece. Hearing the piece come together was great as this was the first time I had ever heard the piece.

About 70% is GPO.

Strings - All GPO except 1st Violins sordino was from QLSO.

Timpani - GPO

Percussion - mix of GPO, London Percussion and QLSO

Brass
    Tuba - GPO
    Bass Trombone - Project SAM Trombones (it includes a solo bass bone)
    2nd Trombone - QLSO
    1st Trombone - SAM Solo Sessions
    1st Trumpet - SAM Solo Sessions
    2nd Trumpet - QLSO
    3rd Trumpet - VSL (from Giga 3.0)
    French Horns - Mostly GPO with SAM Solo Sessions, QLSO and VSL
    Muted brass - Mostly GPO and Xsample brass

Woodwinds - Mostly GPO with Dan Dean woodwinds for 2nd Flute and 2nd Clarinet, QLSO - 1st Bassoon

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    I recorded this while on vacation in December. It was quite a relaxing vacation just sitting at home and doing Dan's wonderful piece. Hearing the piece come together was great as this was the first time I had ever heard the piece.

About 70% is GPO.

Strings - All GPO except 1st Violins sordino was from QLSO.

Timpani - GPO

Percussion - mix of GPO, London Percussion and QLSO

Brass
    Tuba - GPO
    Bass Trombone - Project SAM Trombones (it includes a solo bass bone)
    2nd Trombone - QLSO
    1st Trombone - SAM Solo Sessions
    1st Trumpet - SAM Solo Sessions
    2nd Trumpet - QLSO
    3rd Trumpet - VSL (from Giga 3.0)
    French Horns - Mostly GPO with SAM Solo Sessions, QLSO and VSL
    Muted brass - Mostly GPO and Xsample brass

Woodwinds - Mostly GPO with Dan Dean woodwinds for 2nd Flute and 2nd Clarinet, QLSO - 1st Bassoon
    Wonderful work! Bravo to you both. It's a terrific piece, and a masterful realization.

R. Pearl

BRAVO. BRAVISSIMO
    A wonderful piece,magnificently realised.Be careful Haydn,you will have composeres queing round the block for you to realise their scores too.
    Magnificent writing, I especially enjoyed the sparing and very telling use of the Piano.It gave goosebumps !!! No mean feat with such a commonly heard instrument.
    I toast you from afar

regards

Definitely study the score while listening to this piece. Dan does some really neat rythmic things. Check out the piano and vibes going back and forth in the middle of the piece. I get goosebumps everytime it hits that final brass buildup and then quiets down.

the style of writing here is one that speaks to me...this is true composition and excellent orchestration...this is a great piece with an awesome realization...i thoroughly enjoyed it...

I'd like to thank everyone for their kind comments on the piece. As the composer, I'd like to say that Haydn's realization was superb! I've actually been listening to it in preference to the concert recording. (I won't go into detail, but there were some problems with the performance. The dress rehearsal actually went better than the performance, which sometimes happens.)

Someday I may attempt my own MIDI realization of the piece. Only I plan to completely reorchestrate it to include synthesizers and electronic effects. I also think I might include choral samples during the more ethereal parts, if I can pull it off without it sounding too cheesy! Anyway, I don't think I'm done with this piece yet.

Thanks again to everyone.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

This is GREAT...congratulations to both of you!

And thanks for posting the score, as well as the orchestration notes, along with the mp3. Having all three really helps beginners like me.

Thanks Again!

jim
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

dan, that sounds like a great idea...since your orchestration is so good, i have no doubt you'll pull it off!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast