• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: [OT} - Ascap Film & Television Workshop

Share/Bookmark

[OT} - Ascap Film & Television Workshop

Hi Guys,

I'm interested to know if anybody here has ever participated in the Ascap Film & Television workshop?
    I'd love to hear what your experiences are...

Cheers,

Joris

Re: [OT} - Ascap Film & Television Workshop

I participated in the ASCAP Film Scoring Workshop a number of years ago. The late Fred Karlin lead the class and it was an amazing experience. Mark Isham, Bill Conti and the top contractor and music prep people were guests in the class. Fred Karlin the author of "On The Track" was a great communicator and I learn so much from him about how to have musical conversations with non-musical people like directors and producers.

It's was a highlight for me. At the conclusion of the workshop I had the opportunity to conduct a 40 piece orchestra made of many of LA's top session players on the Universal sound stage.

The year I attended they only selected 10 people out of 300 applicants, so it is an honor to participate. If you don't get select the first time, try again.

Highly recommended!

Bryan E. Miller

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the info! I have been selected; just didn't want to start this thread with blowing my own trumpet
    I'm interested to find out from people what their experiences are and what it has done for them...
    It all sounds great and I'm very excited to participate!

What kind of movie fragment were you asked to score? How long was it and how much time did you get to compose for it?

How did you find the players and the scoring mixer? Was there much time to mix?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just very excited (and scared ~~~~less at the same time ;P) and just want to know what I've gotten myself into!

Cheers,

Joris

Are you responsible for the travel and hotel expenses or do they hook you up?

I'm just curious because if they don't, the expense could be prohibitive for some of the foreign participants.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

The workshop itself is free, but you do have to pay your own expenses, travel and accomodation.

Yes, it is quite expensive and I'm trying to get some funding sorted out.
    It is quite prohibitive but at the same time a unique opportunity for a foreigner like me, so quite worth the expense!

Cheers,

Joris

If you dont whanna go because of expenses, can i go and pretend I am you?

Paul:

I cannot believe your employer didn't allow you to take time off, considering it helps your worth to them and could be considered job training. What cheap bastards they are.

Richard Bellis I know from my USC experience. He's was probably one of the best lecturers I had.

Thumbs up Re: [OT} - Ascap Film & Television Workshop

Joris,

Congratulations! I think it will be a great experience for you.

When I attended, ASCAP supplied the players via Sandy DeCresent who is a major contractor in LA. ASCAP also provided the scoring mixer, etc. You just supply the music... and the copyist.

When are you going to be in LA? I live here, so let me know if you have any other questions. You can contact me thru my website www.sensory-overload.com if you have any other questions.

Hope it is a lifechanging experiece!

Bryan E. Miller

Joris,

I too got into the workshop and live in LA. If there is anything I can do to assist you let me know. See you there...

Sean

Hi Bryan, Sean,

Thanks so much for your support and answers!
    It would be great to hook up with you guys once I get there.
    Sean, I look forward to meeting you and it's nice to get to know somebody on the course to share the experience with.
    I'll be there from around the 10th of july till the 5th of august.

If I may be so bold, I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on which area it would be good to rent an appartment in for a month, and what kind of prices I can expect?
    I've already been looking around and the Santa Monica area seems nice (close to the beach ), although I'm assuming I'll spent a lot of time composing to be too worried about being close to the beach!

Bryan,
    At which point of the course do you get the film fragment you need to score, how long is it and how much time do you get for it? Is it a different fragment for everybody or is it the same?
    I've checked out your site, but I'm having some flash troubles so I'll try again later.

Thanks for your kind responses,

Joris

Go Back to forum