• Register
  • Help

Topic: Performance - How many instruments w/ GPO and Mac Dual G4

Share/Bookmark

Performance - How many instruments w/ GPO and Mac Dual G4

Could I please hear from other GPO users who are using a Mac G4? I was wondering how many instruments can you load before your CPU runs out of steam? I have a Dual G4 1.25 Ghz. w/ 2 GB RAM. I was maxing my processor out the other night with only 3 instruments (strings). I was playing a fast repetitive staccato string pattern with 3 note chords on each track. I had the sample buffer set at 256.I use DP 4.52 as my host. I've also tried using GPO as a standalone with very little difference in CPU.

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Performance - How many instruments w/ GPO and Mac Dual G4

Tom,

You should do better than that. I use only a single processor 1.25g. G4 and while I’d love to have a G5, It does get the job done.

The most important thing to remember is not to use the wet instrument samples. Most of us, after we have auditioned all the sounds, trash the wet samples folder. Avoid plugs like Altiverb and such until you have converted your midi tracks to audio. If you are using the keyboard for input, if possible don’t play other tracks with it, then when you have entered your data, set your buffer as high as you can while you tweak it. You’ll have to do some freezing to audio in order to get a full orchestra at the same time, but I can certainly get an entire section, strings, winds, brass, etc. to play together without freezing.

Do a search on Mac performance or something like that. There has been a ton of info written here about our beloved Macs.

I’m sorry I know I have left out many important things you can do, but it’s 4:00am and I’m crashing fast.

Best of luck,

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    it’s 4:00am and I’m crashing fast.
    Karl
    Holy Cow Karl, what are you still doing up? It's way past your bedtime.

he he he

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Holy Cow Karl, what are you still doing up? It's way past your bedtime.

he he he

Dan
    I was trying to figure out how I could get enough students to pay for all these new libraries for which I crave.

And I might ask the same of you?

Karl

I've got the same hardware setup but use Apple's Logic instead of DP, so this may be a variable. I can easily load up to 45-50 GPO instruments without problems. I have never however used all 50 simultaneously. I have had freezes but only when the system stands idle for 10-15 min.

Thanks guys for your help! I'm definitely using the dry samples. I've tried turning off the 32 bit conversion in the Kontakt Player. That only helps slightly.It seems that the fast repetitive string pattern eats up alot of CPU power, but still I would think that I should be able to get more than 3 tracks! We're only talking about a maximum of 18-24 notes of polyphony.

also, it seems that the release time on the samples is a touch too long so
    it is over-lapping into the next phrase each time. that is probably taxing the CPU somewhat.

Tom

Tom,

Did you try reducing the polyphony on each of the samples that you loaded? That usually helps me. There is a control on the Kontakt player which you can adjust the release.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff:

I think I already tried reducing the polyphony, but I will try that again.

Tom

Go Back to forum