• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Independent Study Question

Share/Bookmark

Independent Study Question

Two things: there is so much music and I know such a small part of it and I am interested in knowing how many composers using many techniques express a similar mood. So…

Clare de Lune and The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy both convey a mood of magic and mystery. And one of the John Williams Harry Potter themes conveys a similar mood (I don’t know how to identify it more precisely but I trust you know the one I mean.) Another example is the first of the Goldberg Variations. I am interested in knowing of other music constructed using widely differing techniques of harmony and melody that conveys a similar mood. The mood I am interested in is one of magic, mystery, and wonder. I am not looking for ones incorporating elements of the sinister, the grotesque, or the horrible. I am hoping to find interesting music that I am not yet familiar with and to learn how to achieve the same compositional result using differing methods.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Chet

Re: Independent Study Question

Thats like saying MINOR is SAD and MAJOR is HAPPY.

I don't agree with your assessment of either Debussy or Tschaikovsky's works.

This is a subjective middleschool joke right?

Chet,

There are moments in Stravinsky's Firebird that portray the mood that you are describing. The Firebird Lullaby may be the longest such section. Williams has other scores that have a fantasy feel, for instance, ET. You may also find that sound in some of the animated Disney films of any era. Holst's Planets has mysterious moments as well.

-JF

Jon

Thanks for the references. I don't think I've listened to the Firebird since college and I'm sure it has just the sort of thing I'm looking for. I look forward to looking into the others.

Chet

newmewzikboy

Perfectly serious.

Many people treat music as an abstract unemotional enterprise and of course even among those who recognize emotion and mood in music opinions vary regarding the content of any particular piece.

Thank you for your opinion.

Chet

Regarding Disney movies, you can probably get them really cheap at garage sales across the country. Parents bought the VCR tapes by the gazzilions. Now that their kids have grown up and they've moved to DVDs, it's time to dump the tapes.

How would I know this? Three kids, ages 13, 14 & 17.

-JF

Jon

Thanks for the idea.

Every time I see one of your posts I think of the wonderful One Day More mp3 you posted. Best wishes to you and your family.

Chet

Thanks Chet!

I'm glad to know that recording made such an impression. After seeing the play, I've now read The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Les Miserables - first abridged, and then unabridged.

BTW, I've recently completed a mock up of the Firebird Lullaby. You can hear it from this thread: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35023

All the best,

-JF

Jon

I just finished downloading the Firebird Lullaby and look forward to enjoying it.

Chet

Jon

Very impressive and enjoyable.

Just the sort of mood I'm looking for too. Unless its hidden in an obscure corner, my current books don't talk about the Firebird. Can you direct me to some good analysis? Best would be a qualitative discussion that would help me ease into more detailed analysis so perhaps to references.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Chet

Go Back to forum