• Register
  • Help

Topic: Overlay instruments

Share/Bookmark

Overlay instruments

What was actually recorded in the overlay brass instruments? It sounds like a section, but I don't know what a solo brass instrument really sounds like playing ff. If it is a section, in GPOA I would like solo ff brass. (still giving requests, when will I stop?! )

I'm kinda confused as to what I should do with the overlays. Are they designed to be layered on top of the solo brass instruments? Or just to be alone, or what?

Thanks,

-Chris

Re: Overlay instruments

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    I'm kinda confused as to what I should do with the overlays. Are they designed to be layered on top of the solo brass instruments? Or just to be alone, or what?

Thanks,

-Chris
    Hi Chris,

The answer to your question is yes. They were originally designed to be overlaid with solo or individual player brass to give more heft and meat to the thinner sounding samples, Thus creating a section sound without using a lot of recourses. But many have used just the overlays by themselves with success. I think getting to know the sounds very well and listening to as much real brass as you can, then trying to emulate it as much as possible with what ever it takes is the key.

Have fun with them,

Karl

Re: Overlay instruments

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Hi Chris,

The answer to your question is yes. They were originally designed to be overlaid with solo or individual player brass to give more heft and meat to the thinner sounding samples, Thus creating a section sound without using a lot of recourses. But many have used just the overlays by themselves with success. I think getting to know the sounds very well and listening to as much real brass as you can, then trying to emulate it as much as possible with what ever it takes is the key.

Have fun with them,

Karl
    Thanks, Karl
    I think I get it now.

-Chris

Go Back to forum