• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dual core CPU

Share/Bookmark

Question Dual core CPU

Could someone please comment on the possible future use of GS with a Dual core CPU. Does GS have to be re-written to work with this new cpu, and also will it (GS) work with a single 64bit model?
    just curious
    Bryan H

Re: Dual core CPU

My take:

the software side doesnt need to be rewritten. 32 bit applications will continue to work as intended.

However, to take advantage of 64 bit addressing for more memory, and other features, the code will need to be recompiled and possibly modified slightly. And it will need a 64 bit OS to run in.

I believe threading via Dual core is transparent to 32 bit OS.

I have been watching Dual Core and 64 bit, since I want to upgrade / rebuild my DAW. My take is to wait until 64 bit XP is stable, and until INTEL solidifies their Dual Core / MOBO / Chipset offerings. And ASUS GIGABIT have good alternative MOBO's

Because GS3 is implemented largely in kernel mode, 64-bits will not be a simple re-compile. I spoke with some of the guys at NAB, and they assured me that they're actively working with 64-bit windows for the future.

Right now they've for GS3.1 in the oven, and it's planned for a June release. It uses the GS3 codebase and is 32-bits, single-core. GS3 won't be 64-bit. 64-bits won't arrive until a future, major release (GS4? GS64? GS-DaBomb? Who knows?).

-JF

Yes, GS would need to rewritten in order to take full advatage of dual-core.

It's the same with games. Quake 3 is written for dual-core, making it faster there than on single-core systems. A single-core game does not run faster on dual-core systems! The same with every other program ..
    Gabrielle: “Contest, pageant. It’s a feeble excuse for men to exploit and degrade women.”
    Salmoneous: “Wrong as usual, Miss Sunshine. Since when do we ever need an excuse?!”

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Because GS3 is implemented largely in kernel mode, 64-bits will not be a simple re-compile. I spoke with some of the guys at NAB, and they assured me that they're actively working with 64-bit windows for the future.

Right now they've for GS3.1 in the oven, and it's planned for a June release. It uses the GS3 codebase and is 32-bits, single-core. GS3 won't be 64-bit. 64-bits won't arrive until a future, major release (GS4? GS64? GS-DaBomb? Who knows?).

-JF
    To address 64 bit memory, you need a bigger byte size. Hence, if you are using pointer arithmetic or vars that hold only enuf addresses for 32 bits, the code will need modification. Depending on how you are using or managing threads (e.g. using native calls rather than OS layers), that may have to change if you want a more granular distribution, especially if in Kernel mode. The UI, I believe will not need such drastic surgery. The engine will...

Quote Originally Posted by dennis_hs
    Yes, GS would need to rewritten in order to take full advatage of dual-core.

It's the same with games. Quake 3 is written for dual-core, making it faster there than on single-core systems. A single-core game does not run faster on dual-core systems! The same with every other program ..
    Good point. A true dual core system would have two CPUs of top performance. Unfortunately, that would mean doubling the heat output of a comparable single core CPU. Instead, we get two CPUs with lower performance. So, if your software only runs on one core, it will be slower than on a fast single core CPU.

I've read some tests on dual core systems. The actual performance can be hard to predict, and sometimes the results are counterintuitive.

That said, if Tascam's future code can put one instance of GigaPulse on one core, and the second instance on the other, it should be pretty powerful - as long as the inefficiency of moving the data between the cores doesn't negate the gain. For long impulses it should work well. For short ones it might not.

-JF

Good point. A true dual core system would have two CPUs of top performance. Unfortunately, that would mean doubling the heat output of a comparable single core CPU. Instead, we get two CPUs with lower performance. So, if your software only runs on one core, it will be slower than on a fast single core CPU.

I've read some tests on dual core systems. The actual performance can be hard to predict, and sometimes the results are counterintuitive.

That said, if Tascam's future code can put one instance of GigaPulse on one core, and the second instance on the other, it should be pretty powerful - as long as the inefficiency of moving the data between the cores doesn't negate the gain. For long impulses it should work well. For short ones it might not.

-JF
    Not depending on the inherant thread distribution of the OS or the processor makes some sense. Doubt that inter-communication would be much of an issue.

-JF
    The AMD64´s DC will be as fast as SC CPU´s (more or less) not like Intel which have lowered mHz to avoid to much heat.
    Digital AudionetworX

Quote Originally Posted by Digital AudionetworX
    The AMD64´s DC will be as fast as SC CPU´s (more or less) not like Intel which have lowered mHz to avoid to much heat.
    I had only read about Intel's situation. Thanks for filling me in on AMD. That's great news.

-JF

Not a big fan of AMD. Had a lot of lockup problems with XP for some reason

Go Back to forum