• Register
  • Help

Topic: portable desktop...

Share/Bookmark

Question portable desktop...

hey guys,
    i realize the laptop is amazing for travel purposes. i own two powerbooks both maxed out with 2gb of ram, but the juice is not cuttin it for the projects i'm working on out of my studio. i've got a lot of pc's rackmounted here in the studio. am i asking for trouble if i rackmount two of them to travel with? can you pay more money to check fragile equipment on a plane? does anybody do this?
    much thanks!

Re: portable desktop...

Jagward

Quote Originally Posted by jagward
    hey guys,
    i realize the laptop is amazing for travel purposes. i own two powerbooks both maxed out with 2gb of ram, but the juice is not cuttin it for the projects i'm working on out of my studio. i've got a lot of pc's rackmounted here in the studio. am i asking for trouble if i rackmount two of them to travel with? can you pay more money to check fragile equipment on a plane? does anybody do this?
    much thanks!
    I haven't been flying my computers, but in 2004 I made about 19000 frequent flyer miles and I always fly my gear. I do sound for film and there are things I NEVER check (well at least for my peace of mind).

I'm not sure of rack-mounted gear, but I have seen some pretty odd things go through security since 9/11. Cases of all shapes and sizes (golf clubs, camera tripods, hockey sticks) I usually carry on my most expensive items on the plane (anything over $1200US). I use a case manufactured by portabrace www.portabrace.com. The bag is big but no bigger than the average roller bag people cram into the overhead.

so I'm carrying a recorder and multiple mics and occasionally my clapper/smart slate.

From my experience, I think they have done away with the multi-media rate. I used to work for a studio and fly and there was this rate that you could get quoted for audiovisual equipment. It was usually a discounted rate for extra luggage but I don't believe it applies to carry-ons and the physical WEIGHT of your gear.

Now you just pay additional fees for extra luggage to go underneath a plane. With American, I think its $50/bag additional if the case is under 50lbs (yeah right).

My usually MO is my 2 carry ons, and my clothing luggage and then my additional equipment luggage underneath the plane. I usually just expect to pay an additional $25 1Way for my equipment case to be over weight. Also, GET TO THE AIRPORT EARLY.

I have gone through security checkpoints with ease. Then there are times where I've had someone check every single piece of gear that GOES UNDER THE PLANE. OH I almost forgot. With the new procedure of screening luggage underneath the plane, I watch the security folks check my gear, make sure they close it properly , AND THEN I GIVE THEM A LOCK FOR THE CASE. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I feel much better.

When I fly to a job, I give myself at least and hour and a half to 2 hours for my gear.
    I think you have more flexibility than you think. What about a shuttle case for the CPU OR haveing a custom CPU chassis that has a handle built right into it?

Sincerely,

Jonathan

Have you looked at a 'desktop replacement' laptop? I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 with a desktop P4 3.2 ghz and desktop chipset and its processing speed is just as fast as my P4 3.2 ghz workstation. The thing is huge compared to modern thin and light laptops, but its made more for power then for extended time away from a power outlet.

Really the only bottleneck is the laptop hard drive, although you can get them now with 7200 rpm drives.. but you can always just use an external firewire drive, or firewire enclosure for desktop drives. There are several good firewire sound cards out now, and a couple of good PCMCIA cards to choose from.

Besides not having to check your laptop, another plus is that you might be able to do a little editing (or game playing) while in flight.. at least for about 1 1/2 hours on my system.

Clonewar:

What external HD do you use? FIrewire or uSB?

I'm using a firewire enclosure. I did some research and read some tests that showed that even though USB2 has a higher theoretical speed, firewire still had faster sustained speed for external hard drives.

what about a shuttle-style pc? www.shuttle.com there's a couple companies that make mini-pc's like this...you can put 2gig ram, and a regular pentium4 processor on them...only limit is pci slots and drive bays...usually max 2 slots/bays.

Go Back to forum