• Register
  • Help

Topic: VST Hosts

Share/Bookmark

VST Hosts

I hope this is the right place for this.

I love how easy it is for me to use GPO Studio. I just point my notation software to it and at works, without eating up excess RAM and CPU.

I am in the process of slowly buying sample libraries and downloading various free VST instruments. I would like to use these in conjunction with GPO, but (for understandable reasons) GPO Studio won't load them.

I am wondering if there is anything out there that does basically the same thing as GPO Studio, but allows me to load any VSTi that I want. I would prefer this solotion not put me back more than $100.

I would rather not convert currency, but if I have to...

I do not want to pipe through another sequencer and eat up all of my RAM and CPU.

Thanks.

Re: VST Hosts

There's a free program called bidule that lets you do this, although I've never tried integrating it with outside notation software, I've only used it as a host for playing VSTi's live.

There's a not-free program called V-Stack made by Steinberg, which I think does what you're looking for. I'm not sure of the price.

chris.

I've used Bidule with GPO as well as other VSTi's, and it's a very cool program with some cool features. It's currently free as a beta, but will supposedly be a paid product in the future. It's available for Mac OSX as well as Windows at http://www.plogue.com
    Jim Casella
    Tapspace

Thumbs up Re: VST Hosts

Thanks for recommending Bidule Jim & CallMEZoot.

Bidule is the same company that made GPO Studio possible. I give Bidule my highest recommendation.

Gary Garritan

I guess I'll get Bidule, as people from both GPO and VDL:2 (2 of the VSTi's I use) have recomended it.

"...but will supposedly be a paid product in the future."

I think that's already happened:

""This is a time limited demo that will expire on June 8th 2005."

I'd get to use it free for less than 2 weeks. Unless I register it.

Registration = $75 . When 1.0 comes out, you get the "Lite" version. I hope the restrictions on "Lite" won't be in the number of VSTi's.

Quote Originally Posted by DZComposer
    I guess I'll get Bidule, as people from both GPO and VDL:2 (2 of the VSTi's I use) have recomended it.

"...but will supposedly be a paid product in the future."

I think that's already happened:

""This is a time limited demo that will expire on June 8th 2005."

I'd get to use it free for less than 2 weeks. Unless I register it.

Registration = $75 . When 1.0 comes out, you get the "Lite" version. I hope the restrictions on "Lite" won't be in the number of VSTi's.
    DZ--just a note that Overture 4 is going to have VST hosting capability. It won't be free, but if you like to work in notation as I do, Ove is a fine choice. I've all but abandoned Finale!!
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    There's a free program called bidule that lets you do this, although I've never tried integrating it with outside notation software, I've only used it as a host for playing VSTi's live.

chris.
    Are you sure bidule is free? I think there is a day limitation.

If so please provide a link to verify this is free.

Can you not add other VST instruments to your score when export the file to Cubasis, or to any other free studio package, such as that of Computer Magazine?

The problem with that is that I like to hear all of my stuff together when writing. I make tons of changes to individual parts based on this listening, so having to export and render just to hear it all together is just an extra pain and eating of HDD space.

I will definately look into Overture 4. That would be the ideal situation right there. No additional software at all!

Hopefully they upgrade pricing for us GPO users will stay the same after 4 comes out.

As a happy user of this program, I would recommend looking into Energy XT, which costs about $50 and can be used free indefinitely until you know if it will work for you (the limitation being that you can't save presets). As well as providing a standalone host, it can also be used as a VST within another host; and so provides a handy and extremely flexible way to set up multiple instances of GPO together with VST effects, even given another host. (More flexible than GPO studio Aside from the fact that the developer is always working to implement new feature requests and has never charged for the frequent upgrades, this is already a very stable and feature-rich program and an unbelievable value for money.

Go Back to forum