• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What would you have done?

Share/Bookmark

What would you have done?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    You're trout fishing. An idiot using a catfish pole (I should have known he was stupid) "tuna boats" (a new verb) a trout to shore. (How he felt a trout biting on his catfish pole, I don't know). He then takes the trout off the hook and proceeds to launch the trout through the air about 30 yards downstream. The trout smacks the water, flops upside down for a bit, doesn't swim, and then who knows it's fate after that.. Let's point out some things about the situation, and assume you are angry.

1. The trout stream is stocked only a few times per year, the limit is only three, barbless hooks and "catch and release" are recommended. In other words, it's a small trout population (not that any of that should matter).

2. Let's assume that you are the kind of person that values human life more than animal life, but that you also recognize that most animals are easier to get along with, smarter, and....oh wait, maybe some of them ARE worth more than some humans.

3. The fish gods have observed this whole event, are probably pissed off by his actions, and you don't want their wrath to come down on all fishermen for this idiot's actions.

4. Upon confrontation with the other fisherman, if that's what you choose, you find that he doesn't speak English.

What do you or don't you do?
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Re: What would you have done?

I'm not sure, but I had a similar experience today on the golf course. There was a slow twosome on the first hole and three teenagers teeing up. The last one hit a decent drive that almost hit the twosome and didn't yell "Fore" (he should have waited anyway). I asked the threesome if I could play through and they let me. As I was walking to my ball, I hear the teen that almost hit the twosome yelling at the guy (from the teebox) because the guy picked up his ball and threw it part of the way back to the teebox. The kid then rode up to the twosome in his cart to tell the guy off (that's what it looked like) and I thought the guy was going to smack the kid. He walked up to the kid and was in his face yelling at him. Fortunately nothing happened, but I did bogey the hole and I blame that damn kid.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Wow, Danimal, that is not good. I used to fish with a guy that would do that to rock bass or perch (the scum of the lake, as he put it) and I would see the poor thing die, flopping around. You need to GENTLY put fish back in the water, and let their gills move around, then let them go. Anything else is barbaric.
    For a while, it was recommended by the DNR or whoever at Lake Erie to do that to white perch (not yellow!!!) since they were taking over. That, at least had a logical purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    What I would do to a person who speaks no English is say "NO" to them. They understand that common language.
    Yes. I'm waiting to see what answers come in before I tell what I did.

Quote for the day......"It's okay to eat fish, because they, don't have any feeeeelings." Kurt Cobaine, Nirvana

Ern,

We caught a couple walleye early on at Devil's Lake this year. It was just before, or supposedly during the spawn. I kept the male that I caught. My buddy obviously put back a female that he caught. We caught a lot of big Northerns that were filled with eggs that day (remind me to send you a picture of one biting my shirt tail after carrying them back). Of course we kept them so they don't eat the walleye, and more importantly, they taste great. The spawn seemed almost non-existent this year. The weather was incredibly crazy, even for North Dakota. I don't even think that the Game and Fish Department did very well with the nets that they put out. I haven't been back there for walleyes since then though. We'll go in a few weeks when my buddy gets his boat. We were pondering going this weekend, but it will be crazy out there because of Memorial Day. We'll probably just go back to Turtle River tomorrow and catch some more trout. We've been limiting out every day, and they just stocked it on Tuesday. They taste great!!!

I'll hopefully make it to Ohio this summer to do some walleye fishing in Lake Erie. A guy in my dad's congregation is a professional charter boat captain. In exchange for my dad not teasing him about missing church in order to fish, he takes us out for free, pretty much.

Hopefully I'll get to do some muskie fishing in your neck of the woods in Minnesota this year, with my buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    I would get my 12 gauge pump action shot gun and blow him the fck out into space. And that's just for not speaking Engish!

Golf ones can be interesting - and actually get quite violent at times Wes - yes indeed.

I was playing with a couple of guys ages ago, and we came to a hole that runs parallel with a road with fairly busy traffic - the road being on the left. This guy, being a right -hander tatooed this career hook straight out left and down the road. There was this almighty crash and you could hear cars piling up all over the place beyond the fariway the hedges.

This guy was distraught and just kept saying - 'what am I going to do? what am I going to do? Until I eventually was able to say something to calm him down.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    I would get my 12 gauge pump action shot gun and blow him the fck out into space. And that's just for not speaking Engish!
    Remington or Mossberg? Another choice.......

4. Upon confrontation with the other fisherman, if that's what you choose, you find that he doesn't speak English.

Well...what languages does he speak? Espanol? Deutsch? Francais? Nederlands? Polski? Portugués?

That's a tough call Danimal. I can't answer it and this is why.

My dad was a huge fisherman and fishing was a regular occurance in my childhood. I never enjoyed it though because I always felt sorry for the fish. It's true, I empathize with fish even though I don't want to. It bothers me that I feel that way. They're fish. They should be bludgeoned, cleaned, filleted and cooked on a grill. It is a matter of nature. Yet I can't help but feel like a murderer when I pull them out of the water. And yet still, I admired my father greatly for being able to naturally do what men naturally do. *sigh*

If my memory serves correctly, aren't trout indigenous to Washington? I seem to remember hearing that. And in all the other streams in the country they're either stocked or have managed to repopulate after once being stocked but, originally, they were only found in Washington.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Nothing. I wouldn't be there. I think fishing, barbed hooks or not, is a cruel sport.

I will, however, be happy to eat the fish YOU catch.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

What would I do?

Post the story on Northern Sounds Off Topic.

Seriously, I'd let him know that he should feel ashamed - if not with vocal language, with body language. Then I'd get away from him. He's probably the kind of guy who burned ants, and blows up cats. You can't fix people like that, and they don't have anything to contribute to your life.

-JF

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast