• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: EthnoWorld 2... need advice please

Share/Bookmark

EthnoWorld 2... need advice please

Hi!

I decided to join the Stormdrum Group Buy, but I've still some points to use. So I'll take some ethnic stuff and think about going with EW2.

I've already searched the forum, but there still are some questions :

My main focus is one a nice sounding and well PLAYABLE eastern flute such as a shakuhachi.
    Is there any similar on EW2?

And does the percussion section double very much with the one of Stormdrum?

Thanks!

Re: EthnoWorld 2... need advice please

Quote Originally Posted by ScoreKiller
    My main focus is one a nice sounding and well PLAYABLE eastern flute such as a shakuhachi.
    Is there any similar on EW2?

And does the percussion section double very much with the one of Stormdrum?

Thanks!
    There is no shakuhachi in either EthnoWorld. The only Shakuhachi sample I have is in RA (many articulations) or a very "lite" version in Colossus.

EW Vol 1 does have a nice Indonesian Bamboo flute and some useful flute phrases but it sounds a little softer and there is less breath - a bit different than a Shakuhachi but close enough to be used in a pinch. Closest on EW Vol 2 is the Indian brass Shiva flute (not close - more fast attack and flute-like).

However EW is chok-full of all sorts of other goodies. The percussion sections are of a slightly different flavor than Stormdrum. Although EW has some large drums they generally have more of an "ethnic" sound rather than the "epic" sound of SD. I do like the way SD are layed out across the keys making them very playable. Overall EW 1+2 don't have "exactly" what you want but a wide variety of other sounds that won't disappoint. If you're willing to settle for a nice Bamboo flute instead of Shakuhachi, get EW Vol 1 and you'll get lots of other goodies too including some nice percussion. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

You might also check with Herman Witkam as to his opinion of EW as he is the real expert in this area.

It also contains a Ba-Wu, an instrument from Southern China that has such a rich timbre, but hasn't been overused in filmscores yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Witkam
    It also contains a Ba-Wu, an instrument from Southern China that has such a rich timbre, but hasn't been overused in filmscores yet.
    Yeah, nice articulations selections on that one too.

if you want the shakuhachi flute get World Winds. I was looking at Ethno World 2 too but then got Storm Drums, and now I don't think I am interested in Ethno world 2 anymore, Strom Drums has enough percussion to satisfy me
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Oh I just ordered EW2 just because I want to use all the points I have on Soundsonline!

As a Chinese I guess I might be able to give a decent comment on the quality when it arrives hehe
    Dell Precision T3500 (Xeon W3520, 12GB RAM) / Windows 7 x64 / Sonar 8 / VE Pro / WIVI 2.3 / Kontakt 4 / G-Player 1.2

I think someday I will actually get Ethno World 2 just so I can have that Chinese Harp!

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeCat
    if you want the shakuhachi flute get World Winds. I was looking at Ethno World 2 too but then got Storm Drums, and now I don't think I am interested in Ethno world 2 anymore, Strom Drums has enough percussion to satisfy me
    I should tell you that If I'm correct, besides from the large Djembé and the Udu none of the percussion instruments on EW2 is included in Stormdrum. And the Udu in EW2 is a Bass Udu.

well damn another thing I'll have to buy I suppose EW2 LOL!! I guess you can't have enough ethnic percussion or big Drums...ahh I'm out Ninja fast!

Hi Herman,

Did the Koto arrive yet?

Go Back to forum