• Register
  • Help

Topic: OVERTURE SE : Bad note duration?

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy OVERTURE SE : Bad note duration?

I'm stumped...

I've been playing around in Overture SE (OS X version), writing lines manually with the note tools. On playback though, the notes are cut short and instead of a smoothly-changing line, I get these "breathy" stops and starts between notes. I took a look at the graphic window and the notes are being written at only about 90% of their length and there's a short gap from one note to the next.

If I play lines from a midi controller, they're written however I play them. It's only when using the notes tool to write that they're cut short.

Anyone have any idea how to make this thing write note lengths correctly?

Re: OVERTURE SE : Bad note duration?

Somewhere (in "Preferences" or the transport bar?) you can specify the note length. As far as I can remember, the default length is 90%.

Correction: It's the "Step input" window. But I think that one only applies to notes entered with a MIDI keyboard, so I guess it won't solve your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Somewhere (in "Preferences" or the transport bar?) you can specify the note length. As far as I can remember, the default length is 90%.
    Can anyone verify this? I've scoured this thing for settings and come up empty.

Why in the WORLD would they set a short note as the default?!?!?

Please read my correction in the above post.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Correction: It's the "Step input" window. But I think that one only applies to notes entered with a MIDI keyboard, so I guess it won't solve your problem.

Actually, that's exactly what I needed. Step Input is what you're doing when you enter notes manually via the note tools.

Thanks so much!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by muxlow
    I'm stumped...

I've been playing around in Overture SE (OS X version), writing lines manually with the note tools. On playback though, the notes are cut short and instead of a smoothly-changing line, I get these "breathy" stops and starts between notes. I took a look at the graphic window and the notes are being written at only about 90% of their length and there's a short gap from one note to the next.

If I play lines from a midi controller, they're written however I play them. It's only when using the notes tool to write that they're cut short.

Anyone have any idea how to make this thing write note lengths correctly?
    Hi, Mux...

Choose the selection tool (type C or click on the arrow) and enclose the notes you want long.
    Go to NOTES>MODIFY (CTRL+Y) and set duration as you see fit. Ov uses 480 ticks to a quarter note, 240 to an eighth, etc.

Also--slurs in SE should set note durations to 100%. There is a debug window (CTRL+SHIFT+D) that you can use to check durations.

Actually, what the program is doing with step-entered notes is right. Non-legato notes should have some space between them. The slur (in Ove) or a legato instruction (in printed music), when added, will lengthen the durations.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum