• Register
  • Help

Topic: John Williams at the CSO!

Share/Bookmark

John Williams at the CSO!

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I bought a 5-concert subscription to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.. going to see some good stuff.. Beethoven, Mussorgsky, Ravel, etc. The cool part is, John Williams is visiting and will be conducting and having some of his works performed live!

Woohoo! I can't wait! I hope he performs a lot of the Harry Potter stuff live.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: John Williams at the CSO!

I'm glad to see others unashamed to express their love of Williams' work. In my opinion, he's one of the greatest composers of our time. But that's not the popular opinion to hold among music elitists since Williams is considered by them to be the composer of the rabble, apparently because of his work on popular films.

Have fun hearing him live! Let us know how good it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady
    Yes - and let us know how those $400 Nikon binoculars work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Cool, Sam! The CSO is one of the best in the world.
    I'd argue the best.

Sam, I'm jealous. If I lived in Chicago I'd have season tickets for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    I still love their old recording of Hovhaness' "Mysterious Mountain" from the late 50's (mono, I'm sure, from way back when). Was that Fritz Reiner conducting!? What a great orchestra. --- The only "glitch" of a perfect performance was whan the 1st trumpet player cracked a high note during the climax of the piece. I always felt sorry for that dude! --- But a fabulous performance, nevertheless. I've heard other recordings of "MM," and they don't capture the magic that the CSO did.
    I'm listening to the Reiner CSO recording of Mysterious Mountain as we speak and it is definitely in stereo. 'Course you may have an earlier version, cause I don't recall the trumpet cracking. (I'm not sure if Adolph Herseth ever cracked a note in his life )

Quote Originally Posted by Brady
    I'm glad to see others unashamed to express their love of Williams' work. In my opinion, he's one of the greatest composers of our time. But that's not the popular opinion to hold among music elitists since Williams is considered by them to be the composer of the rabble, apparently because of his work on popular films.

I have to agree. In my snotty youth I used to look down my nose at Williams' work but in the ensuing years I've done a complete 180.

I don't think many composers working today can match him for theme and melody writing. It's my contention that this is becoming a lost art among composers. ( How many current non-Williams movie themes can you hum off the top of your head? How many would your average Joe on the street recognize?)

I'm not arguing that that's a prerequisite for a good film score, it's just that it's become such a rarity that Williams stands out.
    - Layne

Layne, you're 100% right about theme and melody. More and more, film scores are becoming just a bunch of unstrsuctured filler to get you through the scenes, rather than musical pieces in their own right. Some I've heard are little more than sound effects produced with orchestral instruments! Now I won't say that this makes them less-workable for film, but I would say that by comparison, Williams shines in his muscal ability.

Thanks, guys.. I'll let you know how it is.

What I'm REALLY looking forward to is the performance of Beethoven's "Emperor" piano concerto. That's gonna be amazing.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Go Back to forum