• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: BEST SYSTEM ? PRICE NOT SO IMPORTANT

Share/Bookmark

BEST SYSTEM ? PRICE NOT SO IMPORTANT

I need to buy a new pc. Anybody know of a system that I can buy, that will give me full gigastudio polyphony with no problems? I dont use the effects. I need one huge drive and one small drive. SCCI or not??? Memesys said something about directly connecting the drives to the motherboard will work better than SCCI: Any comments? What about P4? Is 512 ram enough for orchestral work? I use other samplers as well.

Re: BEST SYSTEM ? PRICE NOT SO IMPORTANT

Buying a customized system from someone like SoundChaser ( http://www.soundchaser.com/pcdaw.html ) would probably be the way to go.

The computer industry is highly competitive, and most commercial systems (like Gateway, Dell and IBM) have been pared down to be as inexpensive to produce as possible. Not what you want for an Audio workstation.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick Phoenix:
    I need to buy a new pc. Anybody know of a system that I can buy, that will give me full gigastudio polyphony with no problems? I dont use the effects. I need one huge drive and one small drive. SCCI or not??? Memesys said something about directly connecting the drives to the motherboard will work better than SCCI: Any comments? What about P4? Is 512 ram enough for orchestral work? I use other samplers as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Nick,

I actually doubt if you\'ll see any advantages running GigaStudio on a P4. I checked p4 prices just a few days ago as well, and they\'re all horrendously expensive still. My advice is if you\'re going to look into a Pentium 4 based system you might want to wait a couple months (if you can) until prices drop and more of them hit the market. As Bill says, stay away from \"drug store\" systems as I like to call them. They are good for storing recipes and surfing the net, but not for serious professional audio work. This is potentially a really detailed area to discuss - there is quite a bit that you can do with a system to make it totally smoke with soft samplers and soft synths. I\'d be more than happy to give you some pointers on sticking together a killer box, I\'ve built quite a few audio/soft sampler/soft synth workstations in the past year or so, so I have it almost down to a science. Feel free to shoot off an email to me when you have a chance (I don\'t get a chance to get over to the forums as much as I\'d like) and I can perhaps help out by giving you some pointers. ( ryan@soniccontrol.com )

Ryan.

------------------
    Sonic Control
    www.soniccontrol.com
    Giga Users Network at
    www.soniccontrol.com/gigasampler/

Hi Ryan,

Why don\'t you spend more of your time monitoring your own board and trying to get rid of all the pirates that are trying to trade sample libraries (including Nicks) and gigastudio instead of trying to gain members by coming on here and \"flashing\" your links. Not to speak for Nick but to me that would be a better way you could help all of us out.

Donnie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by donnie:
    Hi Ryan,

Why don\'t you spend more of your time monitoring your own board and trying to get rid of all the pirates that are trying to trade sample libraries (including Nicks) and gigastudio instead of trying to gain members by coming on here and \"flashing\" your links. Not to speak for Nick but to me that would be a better way you could help all of us out.

Donnie
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Donnie,

As you know we have a zero tolerance policy on the SC forums for pirates/threads relating to piracy. It\'s one of the things we can do to support the users who put down their money for a product and it\'s one thing we can do to help support the manufacturers so they keep creating great products.

It is impractical to ban users on a public forum. Most people are on dynamic IP addresses which change every time they log on to the Internet. To ban somebody you\'d need to ban their entire network and that would potentially further alienate legit users. If people want to trade their own patches and samples that they\'ve made or make connections with others who do the same, I don\'t see anything wrong with that. Regarding the monitoring of threads, the forums are real-time: we can\'t watch and read every thread and monitor it for it\'s legality real-time, unfortunately. Once such threads have been brought to our attention (those that involve piracy) they will be removed as soon as we can get to them. Just so everyone knows, that is the only \"censoring\" that we\'ll even consider doing, since it\'s the fair thing to do for all the legit users out there. I hope everyone understands where we\'re coming from here.

We don\'t really need to gain members, but SC and the SC forums are set up as an alternate resource for those who want to discuss whatever they want, without the fear of censorship to name a few things. If signature files and links aren\'t allowed here, perhaps the moderators should say so and disable the signature option in the forum. At least urls don\'t get completely blocked out anymore on here, I guess that is a positive change.

On another note, I\'m still wondering why there is such a profound sense of hostility by certain people towards Sonic Control, myself and our writers. Is there something else going on that we should be aware of?

I am sorry that you\'re still so angry that your sample library did not get the very highest rating in our review (though it rated highly). I must tell you that it is has been tiring dealing with the months of nasty comments we have heard from you since the publication date. Please accept the fact that we still feel as stated that you have an outstanding product but with some flaws that in all fairness we had to point out. These constant demeaning remarks do not mix well with business or services and most of all they have nothing to do with helping people out. Nick made a very legitimate post here asking for advice and opinions - I am more than happy to help him out or any other musicians/composers who need help, if I can be of service.

Ryan.

------------------
    Sonic Control
    www.soniccontrol.com
    Giga Users Network at

Ryan,

This is NOT going to turn into the circus that you would like for it too but I am going to make some final comments.

As far as your zero tolerance policy to pirating thats a joke. Just today I sent several links which have remained on your site to administrators of other sites so they can see what goes on on your site. You can say all you want and what your position is but the fact is that it\'s just not true.

The only way to have a true creditable BB IS for people to register. Without it you get people just wanting to cause problems for legitimate users. The Tracthman episope on your site is a prime example. Guys with no clue whatsoever were bombarding this guy for no reason at all and ripping on his product which they new nothing about. If thats what \"hidden\" ip addresses get us then leave me out. But I guess if you did switch to this then more than half of your \"posters\" would be gone since we know how much name sharing you and others like to do. Oh, and thats not debatable so don\'t try unless you want me to have someone post who caught you at this.

About our library I could carless what you think or what you post. Fact is you only make yourself look stupid when you make those remarks like you know something. What have you done again? Who have you written for? the answers are nothing and no one. You seem to dodge these questions everytime but this why you don\'t get big things to review. Just look on pro rec or EM and you can see all the wonderfull credentials about the people writing. It just gives credibility to the review. And as you continue to act like the little boy living at his parents house that you are you will continue to get this rap. Hell, you couldn\'t even get a NFR copy of Gigastudio! Oh and by the way eveytime you say \"as an orchestral composer\" I just have to laugh. I found this little ditty you composed and performed---oh yeah sweet timing too! http://members.home.net/portonestudios/audio/my%20heart%20will%20loathe%20on.mp3

I hate that I have to come out and act this way because the people on this site who I have gotten to know know me better than this. Hell, I\'m probably one of the most mild mannered country boys you will ever meet.

My advice for you is first of all update page that has gone unchanged for almost a year now complete with the same articles. Find some other way of attracting industry news on your site rather than going to other sites and \"copy and pasting\". And most importantly stay out of our business. Don\'t think for a sec. Sean and I don\'t know some things that have been going on on your site.

So to conclude this nasty confrontation just stay out of our business.

Donnie

Just to put an exclamation point on my point.
    http://www.soniccontrol.com/forum/Forum4/HTML/000096.html

Here is a link that has been up since 1/06/01 at 11:45 am to present. Somehow Ryan has the time to come on this board,bestow his knowledge on Nick, argue with me hours later, and still hasn\'t removed this thread. What am I missing here???? Again, you called this \"no tolerance\" ???? Like I said before this is my problem with you Ryan.

Donnie

[This message has been edited by donnie (edited 01-08-2001).]

Hey Nick, I say, if money is no problem, buy a P4 and tell us how it works out MWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

seriously it looks like Tbirds are the way to go right now. DDR Ram will likely increase poly slightly, especially with NFX (prolly good for mock ups)

Still not sure what the deal is with Hard Drive specs, if SCSI uses PCI bus or not even if its on board....

I know how to build PCs and know some general info, but I\'m prolly ignorant of some of the nitty gritty stuff that helps (maybe only slightly but does) in the audio front on the PC market.

BTW, when can we expect a demo of Rare instruments?

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Nick:

First off, I agree you should run your setup from the motherboard ide interface, rather than a PCI card. I have a promise ata100 PCI card that I have tried out as a replacement for my ata33 mb bus. The card works very well for everything except giga! With giga playback I got pops and clicks and stutters, my understanding is that the pci bus can\'t take all the traffic from both the soundcard and the hard drive card.

Donnie:

I have read your latest posts and felt I should perhaps speak up in Ryan and soniccontrol\'s defense. You are correct that Ryan has not been published in a traditional paperbased trade magazine to date, but the same is not true of some of the contributing writers to soniccontrol. My first publication was back in about 1993, and I have been published 6-8 tims since. Feel free to check the back issues of \"Canadian Musician\" magazine to very this. I work full time as a tv composer and enjoy writing when my schedule permits.

To me soniccontrol appears to be a good website. It has attracted a lot of readers due to the depth of his reviews (and my reviews and those of the other contributers as well :-). Sonic Control does not publish a great amount of material, especially feature articles, but then again perhaps his idea of how to run a website are different than yours.
    <seven11> SC does keep up with the news very well. The AES coverage this last year was two full days ahead of any of the other sites that I check for news! I wonder how anyone could be accused of copying and pasting news given that it first appeared on his site! Sonic Control is fortunate to have a clan of contributers who frequent the shows in person contribute the latest and greatest!

Sonic Control is a smaller web site, but to me it appears to be a good one. It has attracted a lot of readers due to the depth of his reviews (and my reviews and those of the other contributers as well :-). Sonic Control does not publish a great amount of material, especially feature articles, but then again perhaps Ryan\'s idea of how to run a website are different than yours.

I recall you were very upset that Ryan discovered people talking in the back of some of your sample audio recordings, and he has shared some emails attributed to you in which you tried very aggressively to have your products review score raised. The posts here seem to confirm to me that Ryan\'s feelings are justified.

Ryan is a great human being. I like him, and I trust him as well. He is a busy guy and is young, and keeps up his website pretty well. He is not a traffic cop, and he is under no obligation to censor his forum posters. The fact that he chooses to take the time to remove material soliciting sample and program trading is to his credit, and we should appreciate all the work he does on the site rather than criticise him for missing the odd post. His decision to allow people to post freely without requiring registration is entirely within his rights.

I have already spoken more than I intended. Donnie, why not just let Ryan go on with his life. He has not harmed you, and in fact his review of your product was very positive, though he did find a number of technical faults that were overlooked by other reviewers. If Ryan wants to help out someone building a system, why not just let him continue to do so...helping people is a good force inthe world, and we need to encourage it.

Alright, this is getting out of hand. This is absolutely ridiculous. First of all, where exactly are you getting your information from? I\'m beginning to fear that you have been the (un)willing victim of being forcefed false information. And the individuals who have told you this information were very foolish to think that we would never find out about it. You know who they are, they know who they are, and I know who they are.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>
    As far as your zero tolerance policy to pirating thats a joke. Just today I sent several links which have remained on your site to administrators of other sites so they can see what goes on on your site. You can say all you want and what your position is but the fact is that it\'s just not true.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What links would those be? Please forward them to me. We\'ll have them taken care of if we\'ve missed them. I\'m not sure what you\'re getting at, but the truth is the truth - we do our best to eliminate potentially illegal posts on our forums as quickly as possible. All of us are very busy, so it is unrealistic to be able to jump on every thread. It may take us a couple days to get to a questionable thread, but we will get to it eventually. I\'m not sure what you are not understanding about our zero tolerance policy for piracy. Zero tolerance is zero tolerance, period. It\'s just unrealistic to ban entire networks because of one user who resides on that network. We want to be fair to everyone, but there are only so many hours in the day.

The only way to have a true creditable BB IS for people to register. Without it you get people just wanting to cause problems for legitimate users.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, no. We made a specific choice to allow unregistered users to post because a lot of the time people want to ask simple questions without having to go through a lengthy registration procedure. This way, everyone can participate, they aren\'t obligated to hand over their email addresses, nor are they forced to remember passwords or user names. We polled quite a few people before even setting up the forums regarding the registration issue, and most preferred to be able to post immediately without the need to register.

The Tracthman episope on your site is a prime example. Guys with no clue whatsoever were bombarding this guy for no reason at all and ripping on his product which they new nothing about. If thats what \"hidden\" ip addresses get us then leave me out. But I guess if you did switch to this then more than half of your \"posters\" would be gone since we know how much name sharing you and others like to do. Oh, and thats not debatable so don\'t try unless you want me to have someone post who caught you at this.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I again don\'t follow you here, Donnie. Again, we protect the privacy of all of our users, and this includes their IP addresses and email addresses. They\'re logged for security reasons, but under no circumstances is private information about our users ever given out.

And as you continue to act like the little boy living at his parents house that you are you will continue to get this rap.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

\"A little boy\" - Sheesh, do I wish I was still a little boy. Heck, I\'d settle for being 10 years younger and knowing what I know now. A sweet deal it would be to be able to live in my parent\'s basement too. All the money I spend on phone bills and utility bills and rent could go into buying more gear and maybe into Sonic Control. And by the way, Sonic Control is a sideline for all of us - we do it for fun. We aren\'t backed by investors with deep pockets (yet). Our own time, sweat, money and resources are put into Sonic Control for the benefit of other composers and musicians. We are all very busy and SC takes up the remainder of any free time that we have left, but I think it\'s worth it in the end if we can pass on some valuable advice or information to a novice or even pro composer who seeks it.

Hell, you couldn\'t even get a NFR copy of Gigastudio!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While we\'ve tried to involve Nemesys and their great product as much as possible, it\'s been nearly impossible for us to even contact anyone there lately. Considering all of the free product support that we provide for such a deserving product, does this not seem just a little bit odd to you? It does to me, and any rational-minded individual I would suspect.

Then again, it goes back to those said individuals that I know of and that you know of - who have somehow took it upon themselves to try and destroy Sonic Control and the reputations of everyone here by spreading false, slanderous rumors and accusations in some petty little unprofessional game that they think they must play. To these individuals, who are surely reading this thread: Did you think that we wouldn\'t find out?

We in fact have no need to request NFRs of GigaStudio, those of us who use the product are already legit, satisfied customers who have paid money out of our own pockets for the product. It does burn me however, that these said individuals have slandered our reputation with these false remarks to the point where Nemesys actually completely ignores us.

It makes sense to me now why you, out of the blue, requested that we pull your review of your library while it was 90% done, before it was able to hit publication. Judging by the kind of slanderous information that I suspect you may have been going on I wouldn\'t blame you - the pieces of the puzzle are slowly coming together. After all, it is extremely odd for a developer like yourself to send us product and then suddenly request that it be pulled, without rhyme or reason.

Oh and by the way eveytime you say \"as an orchestral composer\" I just have to laugh. I found this little ditty you composed and performed---oh yeah sweet timing too! http://members.home.net/portonestudios/audio/my%20heart%20will%20loathe%20on.mp3
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, I don\'t know why you resort to personal attacks. It\'s hurtful and uncalled for, in my opinion. That is quite amazing that you were able to dig up that old MP3 though, I didn\'t even know that one was still kicking around! I did that for my 4 year old cousins\' pre-school play some time ago. It was on one of those little $300 Roland keyboards that you can pick up at any electronics store (unfortunately, most pre-schools around here don\'t have state of the art sampling workstations and high end sequencers to nit-pick every little glitch after it\'s been played into the onboard sequencer of that luxurious $300 Yamaha keyboard). Basically what you get in 5 minutes of \'sequencing\' in a gymnasium with a bunch of screaming four-year-olds is what you get. It was quite a cute in the end, I think I have it on video somewhere. I actually don\'t mind \"lowering\" myself to a level where I can pitch in and let some little kids have some fun now and again.

I hate that I have to come out and act this way because the people on this site who I have gotten to know know me better than this. Hell, I\'m probably one of the most mild mannered country boys you will ever meet.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You and I as well as most everyone on the Northern Sounds forums and the Sonic Control forums know that this is not the first time you have initiated such correspondence. I only entertain your correspondence with replies because I feel that it is my moral obligation to stand up for what is right and defend those who are unfairly targeted for attack. I actually want to avoid confrontation at all costs - it\'s in my nature. I have absolutely nothing against you Donnie, I don\'t know you, I cannot judge you. I do think that you have done some incredible work based on what I\'ve seen of your products so far and there is no reason to believe that your future products won\'t be even better.

My advice for you is first of all update page that has gone unchanged for almost a year now complete with the same articles. Find some other way of attracting industry news on your site rather than going to other sites and \"copy and pasting\". And most importantly stay out of our business. Don\'t think for a sec. Sean and I don\'t know some things that have been going on on your site.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sadly, your attacks are now getting personal, yet again. First of all, please read up a few lines about Sonic Control being a private venture of our own free time. We update regularly with new reviews all of the time. Our current feature article has generated some incredible feedback and has been extremely helpful to the thousands who have read it and emailed us. For that reason, we decided to leave it up for a bit longer than usual. The key here is for us to get as much helpful information out there as we can. If an article is really getting a great response and people are still reading it, writing in and thanking us for giving them some new ideas then it\'s useful to leave it up so people can still read it (we have a bunch of new articles in the works).

Your comments about SC \"copy and pasting\" are false, and that is saddening to me. We do not copy and paste, we have our own sources of news, and we collect and publish our own news. In fact, most of our news is up and on-line before anyone else has it on-line. In some cases we\'ve actually been 2 to 5 days ahead of other news sites in publishing product announcements. We also let the little guys have their place in the spotlight, whereas with some other larger sites and magazines they won\'t touch product announcements from small, start-up companies.

I\'ve obviously let this issue go by the wayside for much too long (a year or so too long) and I\'m not prepared to play this game with the individuals that are involved with this any longer. As I said, they are likely reading this thread right now - you know who they are, I know who they are and they know who they are.

In any case, this has gone too far off topic (yet again). I apologize to Nick and everyone for writing this giant response, but I feel that I have a moral obligation to at least defend myself, my colleagues and Sonic Control. We do honest work at SC, and we\'re proud of the quality of the content.

If anyone needs my help, please email me - it seems that every time I try and post here with helpful advice I am viciously attacked. Quite frankly, posting frequently just isn\'t worth the time I\'m putting into dealing with defending myself. I could be using this time for composing, sleeping, playing with my dog or God forbid, writing new reviews and preparing new articles for Sonic Control.

Anyway - back on topic: With regards to hard drives, it seems to me that rotational speed plays a big role in both the polyphony and performance that you get (especially with huge samples). The drive has to be able to pull the samples off very quickly, especially with music that triggers a lot of samples at once. For example, I\'ve noticed while playing certain Chopin Etudes (some of these things are realy polyphony eaters, especially with lots of pedal), I\'ve noticed slower drives completely choke. As a rule, I wouldn\'t touch anything under 7200 RPM - I\'m not even sure if they make 10,000 RPM drives in IDE (maybe only in SCSI). I wish there was an option to load a .gig directly to RAM, thus bypassing the need to use the hard drive if you had a gigabyte or thereabout of RAM to work with.

Ryan.

------------------
    Sonic Control
    www.soniccontrol.com
    Giga Users Network at

Go Back to forum