• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Potential New Purchaser Genre Question

Potential New Purchaser Genre Question

Hi everyone. I'm thinking about purchasing GPO as part of the Group Buy, but I wanted to make sure it makes sense for me first I am pretty much into jazz and pop oriented music. While I am eagerly awaiting the new jazz & big band release, I was wondering whether I am likely to find GPO's soundset useful as well. There are only a few demos on the website in the popular genre, so I wasn't sure if that meant that very few people were using it for that type of music.

Thanks in advance.

Brooklyn, NY

Re: Potential New Purchaser Genre Question

That all depends on what your musical needs are. If you already have a full arsenal of sampled drum kits, guitars and other pop and jazz instruments, but want to add the extra lushness of an orchestra, then GPO will work for you. I believe the reason you don't find that much pop/rock/jazz on the demo pages is that the demos are primarily meant to showcase GPO itself - and that is an orchestral library. There have been quite a few demos in the user forum where members mix libraries and have more pop oriented compositions, mixing symphonic with electronic sounds. I guess the question to ask yourself is what instruments do you need to make the music you want to make and go from there.

West Seneca, NY

Thumbs up Re: Potential New Purchaser Genre Question

I don't care what genre of music you are primarily interested in composing. GPO offers you more "colors" on your palate to paint with in your compositions. Jazz artist all over are crossing the so called barriers of standard instruments used in specific genres. At the group purchase price you just can't afford to be without GPO! You'll find a use for it more often than you imagine!
    Go for it! You'll have much to gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    At the group purchase price you just can't afford to be without GPO! You'll find a use for it more often than you imagine!
    Go for it! You'll have much to gain.
    I'm sure you are right about that!

loogoo, actually I have very little in my arsenal at this point. I am just getting into recording and have been debating the hardware/software issues, etc. So far I am just using the plugins that come with Sonar. So, in my future I see the purchase of some soft synths and/or a hardware sound module, plus probably a digital piano/weighted key controller. I've been playing music for a while and have some older equipment (an FM synth), but I'm a relative newbie to recording and piano is not my primary instrument (I'm a sax player), so this is a bit of a new frontier for me.

Thanks for the input.

If you prefer the feel of a sax, you may be interested in this product:

That is a MIDI controller that plays like a woodwind instrument.

Here is a selection of mock-ups I have done in a jazz style.

Please note that they were essentially rough drafts, and were done whilst I was way down on the learning curve of using GPO and Sonar.

Imagine What a Change Will Do [Tom Kubis] - http://www.stradjazz.co.uk/ImagineWhatAChange.mp3

Let’s Dance [Benny Goodman] - http://www.stradjazz.co.uk/LetsDance.mp3

Yardbird Suite - http://www.stradjazz.co.uk/YardbirdSuite.mp3

Stardust - http://www.stradjazz.co.uk/stardust.mp3
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Richard, I appreciate the posts. Very nice. I am using Sonar also, so it's nice to get an idea what can be done. Your rough drafts are probably better than my finished work at this stage of the learning curve. I guess the bottom line is that it's nice to have a variety of good sounds from various genres. Even if one wouldn't normally associate orchestral sounds with pop and/or jazz, I guess it does open up the imagination to new ideas.

DZ, Thanks. I've actually been eyeing that as a purchase. It's on my "to buy" list (which is getting rather long ). Fortunately, I do have a little bit of piano facility also (although it is limited), and there is nothing like playing a real piano part on a decent weighted keyboard (next to an acoustic piano, that is).

Thanks again.

I think you should grab GPO for $139.99.... what a bargain!

Here is
    Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire

It's not done, and does not have a vocal yet, but it is all GPO except Garritan Orchestral Strings (GOS) which will be included in the Advanced version of GPO.
    Upright bass is from Spectrasonics Trilogy
    Drums are Yellow Tools Pure drums
    Piano and guitar are Gigastudio
    The saxes in this unfinished song are the bassoon and clarient from GPO, I EQ'd the livin' snot of them to sound like saxes. They do kinda I can't wait for Gary's Big Band for them saxes and other cool stuff.
    Enjoy, it's kinda weird without the vocal though.

West Seneca, NY

Talking Re: Potential New Purchaser Genre Question

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Oh God, this reminds me of a joke I heard during the holidays.
    A couple siting in front of a warm fire on a Bear skin rug and the phone rings,
    Woman answers, "Hello?, oh yes he's right here. It's for you honey."
    Man takes the phone, "Hello? Oh Hi Mom! Oh nothing much. Just roasting some nuts over an open fire."

I really like the orchestration for the tune. I would love to record a sax melody over it.

I agree, it IS a great bargain. My only hesitation at this point is that I am just learning about this stuff and my arranging skills are ... well, let's just say that I haven't had much experience arranging. So, I'm just not sure how good MY music is going to sound and whether I've got the ability at this point to learn and do justice to the software.

Also, I have been looking at Sonik Synth and Sample Tank, both of which I imagine would probably be good additions to a sound collection and certainly should not effect my decision as to whether to get GPO, but between that and all of the other equipment I am looking at, the bank book is starting to look empty (and I haven't even bought anything yet)

Go Back to forum