• Register
  • Help

Topic: Piano_m_F#3.wav of STEINWAY PIANO

Share/Bookmark

Piano_m_F#3.wav of STEINWAY PIANO

Tom,
    is there a way to get rid of 3rd overtone of the sample? Press G2, D#3, and A#3 simultaneously and you'll hear what I'm talking about .
    Sorry to be so picky .
    Thank you.
    P.S.
    I get Kontakt 2's "external editing is not possible for this sample" for all GPO samples.
    sfiks

Re: Piano_m_F#3.wav of STEINWAY PIANO

Which 3rd overtone are you talking about - the 3rd overtone in the "Piano_m_F#3.wav" or something audible as a beat frequency in the combination of G2, D#3, and A#3? I played these three notes together and didn't hear anything obviously related to either of those possibilities. Not that it matters to your basic editing question though, if I understand it correctly. The answer is "no." The samples are not available for that type of user editing since they are imbedded in a monolithic file structure for the GPO player. The lowest level of editing available to the user is with the full version of Kontakt at the zone level (start markers, looping, tuning, panning, etc.) Actual editing of the sample data itself is excluded.

Tom

I just noticed that you mentioned that you were using K2. Be aware of the previously discussed problems that K2 has with GPO (sustain pedal legato mode does not work properly) that we hope NI will fix soon. At present, only K1.5 versions work properly with GPO.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    the 3rd overtone in the "Piano_m_F#3.wav"
    I meant third harmonic (that's actually a 2nd, not 3rd overtone). The sample is assigned to F#2/G2 on a Kontakt 2 keyboard. When I press G2 I can hear strong overtone an octave + fifth higher.
    Sorry for bothering if "Actual editing of the sample data itself is excluded".
    sfiks

Quote Originally Posted by sfiks
    The sample is assigned to F#2/G2 on a Kontakt 2 keyboard. When I press G2 I can hear strong overtone an octave + fifth higher.
    Sorry for bothering if "Actual editing of the sample data itself is excluded".
    I see. I didn't examine the mapping before asking. A little more info: Any library that uses the Kontakt player will exclude raw sample editing - it's an integral part of the player design.

There is one experiment you might want to try in the full version of Kontakt: There are 5 velocity zones per mapped note. Highlight the two lowest F#2/G2 velocity zones and move them to a new clone group. Make sure the "Edit all" button is "off." In this new group change the 1-pole filter to a 2 band parametric EQ. Set the following values: Freq1=15.1khz, Bandw1=3.0, Gain1= .2; Freq2=514.5, Bandw2=.3, Gain2=-6.3. Right click on the Gain1 knob and choose "external sources." Pick "velocity." Set the velocity slider to "+46.3." These are settings I quickly determined so you may wish to modify them to taste. They give you a reasonable starting point.

The first band is an approximate substitute for the replaced 1-pole dynamic filter and is tied to velocity to dynamically control brightness. It isn't a perfect match to the 1-pole filter so you will hear a bit more of a change across the velocity split to the forte sample but it might be an acceptable compromise for you, since you are bothered by the natural harmonic in the actual recorded sample.

The second band acts as an adjustable notch filter that is tuned to the harmonic. I've set it to lower the level of the harmonic by about 6db. You may wish to make further adjustments to this setting to reach a compromise that satisfies you. This kind of surgical application of filtering can sometimes help without actually editing the raw sample data.

Just to reiterate: It's best to try this in Kontakt 1.5 rather than Kontakt 2 until they get the sustain pedal problem fixed.

Tom

First of all, thanks a lot for detailed explanation, Tom (guessing how busy you are)! I don't have 1.5, so I tried to do what you suggested in K2.
    Right click on the Gain1 knob and choose "external sources." Pick "velocity." Set the velocity slider to "+46.3."
    Somehow right click doesn't work but I was able to tie filter to velocity clicking on Modulation -> add modulator etc.. I'll play with Freq.2.
    Just to reiterate: It's best to try this in Kontakt 1.5 rather than Kontakt 2 until they get the sustain pedal problem fixed.
    Thank you, I'm aware of that.
    sfiks

Go Back to forum