• Register
  • Help

Topic: Computer Audio Gurus: I need some help

Share/Bookmark

Computer Audio Gurus: I need some help

As you can see by my signature at the bottom, I have TWO LAPTOPS: one Mac Pwrbk and a Toshiba Satellite. Both are great computers and the PC is probably the best suited for GPO, BUT, I want to use Digital Performer 4 on the Mac as a sequencer and install the GPO library on the PC.

What I need is some advice on the EQUIPMENT I will need to use TWO LAPTOP computers with GPO. Can I install lightpipe on two laptops? Is there some other set up that would be better?

I want to get a larger orchestra to work with and I think I have the power to do so instead of buying a desktop. Your ideas and set up configurations will be most helpful now that I have spent around $6500 on two laptop computers.

The Mac has an Emagic EMI 6/2m audio interface and the PC has the Echo Indigo I/O audio interface.

I can buy other audio interfaces if I need to, for a two computer set up, but I would like to know that the set up will work before doing so.

For those using a two-computer set up with GPO, I would be most grateful for your input.

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Computer Audio Gurus: I need some help

Can't vouch for it personally, but there are a lot of users around the forum...

http://www.musiclab.com/products/rpl_info.htm

It talks about Gigastudio, but the process is the same no matter what the audio software is.

This doesn't require anything but a LAN to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell

It talks about Gigastudio, but the process is the same no matter what the audio software is.

Thanks Joseph. I went to the link and it sounds interesting, but I don't know if it will work with my set up. The site says it will, but I don't trust it yet. There must be other ways. Thanks for your help though, Joseph.

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Alternative One - buy a 7200 RPM Firewire drive and run GPO on it from the Mac. You don't get the polyphony count because of the horsepower needed for DP, but it's all together.

Alternative Two - a VST host like V-Stack on the PC, connect via MIDI, audio out to the (hopefully digital at both ends) audio in on the Mac.

Alternative Three - an Ethernet LAN connection. This is outside my area of expertise, but they do work, apparently.

HTH.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    Alternative One - buy a 7200 RPM Firewire drive and run GPO on it from the Mac. You don't get the polyphony count because of the horsepower needed for DP, but it's all together.

Alternative Two - a VST host like V-Stack on the PC, connect via MIDI, audio out to the (hopefully digital at both ends) audio in on the Mac.

Alternative Three - an Ethernet LAN connection. This is outside my area of expertise, but they do work, apparently.

HTH.
    HTH: I have a Lacie 120 GB Firewire HD which is not being used with my Mac at the moment. How do you run GPO on it from the Mac? Do you install the library on the HD and DP on the Mac? How does GPO respond to this being so far away on another HD? And what is the limitation in polyphony count? I am currently able to get 14-16 instruments using DP on the Mac by itself. Will that be reduced significantly?

In alternative two--I've heard of V-stack on the PC but I don't understand the connection you have described. Please explain the "digital at both ends" part for the connection.

Thanks so much HTH for your input. If I understood more of what you said, I would be off and running.

John

For alternative 2...

Wouldn't you be limited by the midi in/out capabilities of your soundcards? One midi cable only supports, what, 16 channels simultaneously. Then you run out. So you'd need 4 midi outs and 4 midi ins to really get down to business.

That's what set MOL apart. None of that. You may want to query the main forum about MOL capabilities.

Joseph, you're correct that you'd only get 16 channels per midi in, but 32 with a dual I/F, I'm using a MOTU -Midi Flyer 2-in 2-out parallel port device with no problem (AFAIK there's no use for the midi outs in this setup.)

Rhap2, what I'm referring to is using digital audio outs on the PC, if you have them - this requires either something built into the motherboard or a soundcard that supports S/PDIF or Toslink (ADAT-style) optical audio I/O on the PC, and a compatible equivalent into the Mac. In my studio, I use a very complex setup with a Z-Sys router for the S/PDIF connection and a Frontier Apache to cross-patch my TOSLink audio, into a Mackie d8b board which understands TOSLink and a 2408 to get this into DP.

You could do this much more simply - if you need separate audio outs, then you need a more expensive I/F, otherwise a 2x2 audio with midi (usually 1 In, so 16 channels) on the PC will work. On the Mac, you need a way to get midi out and audio in - again, the interface need be minimal, but with good quality audio and low-latency midi.

I would normally install GPO on the Mac internal drive and the GPO library on the external drive, but as this is a laptop with 4200RPM drive, I'd put the app and the data on the external box. ou will get much greater throughput and voice count by easing the load on the slow system drive (in fact, I'd put all my audio data on the 7200RPM drive, and only OSX and DP on the system drive.

While MOL may have advantages-again, I'm not familiar with it, I assume you still need an audio link to get the data from the PC back to DP (or to an external mixer,) so there still is a hardware device required spmewhere. I wonder if it's possible to connect via USB-to-USB with just a software link (and USB cable) to get the audio from the PC to the Mac. Anyone?
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell

Hi Joseph & John,

I can vouch for MOL on the link above. I can drive 4 Gigastudio banks (64 channels) using MOL from one PC to another. I haven't used the Mac version of MOL but I think as long as both laptops can talk to the network you'd be fine.

-John

Soundsmith, Joseph and John:

Thanks for your input. This is interesting and I am learning a lot. I think what I need to do now is to get a demo of an MOL setup at my local music store or talk to someone I can network with to get a private demo of such an exercise. MIDIoverLAN seems like a neat way to go IF IT WORKS with individual setups.

Thanks

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Soundsmith, Joseph and John:

Thanks for your input. This is interesting and I am learning a lot. I think what I need to do now is to get a demo of an MOL setup at my local music store or talk to someone I can network with to get a private demo of such an exercise. MIDIoverLAN seems like a neat way to go IF IT WORKS with individual setups.

Thanks

John
    Just to add, as Dasher notes, you do need to handle the audio yourself, MOL only moves MIDI data over the network; so you'd need a little mixer or something. Getting a demo sounds like a great idea.
    -John

Go Back to forum