• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Best Pop/rock and Jazz Brass Library

Share/Bookmark

Best Pop/rock and Jazz Brass Library

Which Brass library would be considered today the most realistic sounding and with the most articulations for pop, rock, and jazz.

Sill waiting to see what Garry has for us, I hope he's not skimping on any thing.

Re: Best Pop/rock and Jazz Brass Library

I don't believe there's anything really satisfactory in this field yet.

I use Quantum Leap Brass, which does have some excellent points and a wide variety of usable sounds. But it also has some glaring weaknesses that take quite a lot of working around. While I get good use out of it, after having put a lot of work into designing my own custom gigs using it, I wouldn't advise someone to buy it now, with the other programs round the corner.

Kick-~~~ Brass is supposed to be very good, but I had some trouble finding it for sale here in the UK, and eventually gave up. It also seems rather expensive for the amount of content.

Phantom Horns has also had some good press.

But like you, I'm waiting to see what Gary comes up with, and also Chris Hein with his new library. (Oops - Oh God, am I allowed to say that? Please don't ban me, no really - please. I didn't say anything about Chris's new library, honest!)

Ahem, what I mean is - there's Gary's new library just around the corner, and you never know: there MAY be other brass libraries about to be released by other, unnamed developers, which aren't allowed to be talked about here. I wouldn't know about that though.

Thanks.

This was exactly the purpose of this post.

While I know there are a number of libraries available now, but I'm so afraid that they lack what I need.

Some one should do to pop/jazz brass what VSL and North South (and others) did with Orchestral Brass.

Any rumors (besides Garritan) from the developers on this?

I just took another look at Gary's site, I think I'll wait for this one. Looks good.

A Complete Jazz & Big Band Collection

Featuring Trumpets, Trombones, Saxophones, Rhythm Section and more.
    A Comprehensive Collection of Saxophones ,
    Extended Ranges of the Instruments,
    Variety of Mutes [Straight, Cup, Harmon, Bucket, Plunger (wah-wah)].

Includes NI KONTAKT Sample Player & GPO STUDIO to Work with Notation Programs
    Create Realistic-Sounding Jazz & Big Band Arrangements Quickly and Easily
    Great Sounding Instruments, Advanced Programming for Expressive Control
    Control Dynamics, Tongue/Slur Articulations, Intonation, Vibrato & More.
    Build Your Own Bands and Jazz Ensembles with Individual Instruments
    An entire Big Band can be loaded on a single computer or laptop
    Mac or PC, Standalone, VST, DX, AU, RTAS, Runs in RAM

The Garritan Jazz and Big Band will be available for $259 in the Spring of 2005.

More details and demos will be available soon
    What I'm always afraid when I see bundled packages like this one and for cheap, that 'maybe' detailed attention wasn't given do individual instruments, because, hey, look, your getting all this for $000 and still complaining!?

Hey Gary, how is the project coming along? Any demos soon?

I know one excellent brass library, but speaking of it might get me banned

I already play saxes, and my latest project is recording renditions of big band charts. The lack of convincing trumpet sounds at my disposal actually drove me back to playing the trumpet, an instrument I hadn't touched for almost 20 years to play the parts. Still don't have a satisfactory solution for 'bones yet (hmmmm...it might be time to go "pawn shop hopping" again)

Quote Originally Posted by robin123
    I know one excellent brass library, but speaking of it might get me banned
    Can you give us a hint?

Yesterday, "First Call Horns" from Big Fish finally got to my door. So far I'm really impressed. It has lots of useful articulations and I like the sounds I've heard so far, although the trombones aren't very aggressive, which for my tastes is a problem.

Phantom Horns is really good. It's an older Akai CDRom (which I imported to the EXS24,) but it's been my "go to" disk for years. For comparison's sake, I also have QLBrass, Chronic Horns, Brass Supersection and some orchestral brass libraries which are NOT my go to libraries for big band horns.

First Call Horns is far more complete than Phantom Horns, but I suspect I may still need the bones from PH.

Oh, I just remembered one other nuisance: the trumpets only go up to either a C or a D, depending on the patch. Of course, most good big band have a guy who can hit the G above that, so that's a bit annoying. Since it's a Kontakt plug, maybe I can extend the range of those samples.

- Mike Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Chaim Goldman
    Thanks.

While I know there are a number of libraries available now, but I'm so afraid that they lack what I need.

Some one should do to pop/jazz brass what VSL and North South (and others) did with Orchestral Brass.
    Someone is....with multiple mixs as well

Being distributed by Sonic Implants. Should be cool.

I use QLBrass and phantom horns, as well as some stuff from brass super section.

mostly QLB with custom programs....well atleast thats what I DID use ... since its been a while since I tried any big band stuff, not much has changed since then tho....I might try some SAM additions nowadays...like close mic'd trombones
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    I don't.........

..........what Gary comes up with, and also Chris Hein with his new library. (Oops - Oh God, am I allowed to say that? Please don't ban me, no really - please. I didn't say anything about Chris's new library, honest!)

Ahem, what I mean is - there's Gary's new library just around the corner, and you never know: there MAY be other brass libraries about to be released by other, unnamed developers, which aren't allowed to be talked about here. I wouldn't know about that though.
    You deserve a damn good banning..... but thanks for the heads up anyway.....see you on 'the other side'!

My understanding is that Gary is using SAM brass in his GPO Advanced.

Frank
    Say 'good riddance' to my little friends

Quote Originally Posted by Chaim Goldman
    Thanks.

Any rumors (besides Garritan) from the developers on this?

I just took another look at Gary's site, I think I'll wait for this one. Looks good.

What I'm always afraid when I see bundled packages like this one and for cheap, that 'maybe' detailed attention wasn't given do individual instruments, because, hey, look, your getting all this for $000 and still complaining!?

Hey Gary, how is the project coming along? Any demos soon?

Chaim,

if you want a decent Jazz-Pop Library, you need Jazz musicians to spend countless hours with a great sound developer to sample their sound being the genre that THEY have mastered. You can't have a classical musician in this instance. It's a waste of time and money. Now, which Jazz musician is willing to spend the time..this is the key?

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Go Back to forum