• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: NORTON Out !! ?? AntiVirus IN ??

Share/Bookmark

NORTON Out !! ?? AntiVirus IN ??

Am pulling NORTON Antivirus off of my system. Seems to be slowing down large score processing, as well as numerous OS problems over the last year.
    Norton seems over extended, and under engineered.

What would be a reliable, simple replacement ? I already have all of the other bells and whistles ( Anti-SPAM, firewall, spyware, ... I just need an AntiVirus )

MacAfee maybe ???

--atonal

Re: NORTON Out !! ?? AntiVirus IN ??

Quote Originally Posted by atonal
    Am pulling NORTON Antivirus off of my system. Seems to be slowing down large score processing, as well as numerous OS problems over the last year.
    Norton seems over extended, and under engineered.

What would be a reliable, simple replacement ? I already have all of the other bells and whistles ( Anti-SPAM, firewall, spyware, ... I just need an AntiVirus )

MacAfee maybe ???

--atonal
    MacAfee? Oh, God no! Unfortunately, if you are using the same system for the Internet you pretty much have no real alternative. I have Norton's after trying MacAfee and having way too many problems. I'm wondering if there is a way to disable Norton's when not on line?
    I do feel for you though. Maybe another PC for on line use is the ultimate answer.
    Styxx

I highly recommend Kaspersky. I've also had good luck with Trend Micro and Panda.

Stay the heck away from Norton and McAfee.

Thumbs up Re: NORTON Out !! ?? AntiVirus IN ??

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    I highly recommend Kaspersky. I've also had good luck with Trend Micro and Panda.
    Hmm, new ones on me! Thanks.
    Styxx

Another good and non-intrusive one is AVG. Simple, but really effective.

Kind Regards

Louis Dekker

If you don't run foreign, unknown programs on your PC on a regular basis, then why bother with antivirus?

That's like wearing a condom 100% of the time so that you don't accidentally contract a venereal disease in situations that could never transmit one in the first place!

If you have all the other bells and whistles and don't run potentially harmful programs, then you've done the most effective things you can already. Limiting network access to your machine with a firewall and using safer communication apps (Firefox for web, Thunderbird for email) should be all you need.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    If you don't run foreign, unknown programs on your PC on a regular basis, then why bother with antivirus?

That's like wearing a condom 100% of the time so that you don't accidentally contract a venereal disease in situations that could never transmit one in the first place!

If you have all the other bells and whistles and don't run potentially harmful programs, then you've done the most effective things you can already. Limiting network access to your machine with a firewall and using safer communication apps (Firefox for web, Thunderbird for email) should be all you need.

- m
    So true. You can also do online scans. I hope you are not running all that crap while workiing with audio. I'd suggest next time make a dual boot system and one for audio only.

Well, Kaspersky is really lite on the CPU and is very effective. I haven't noticed any degredation of performance while using it. Even while working.

Also, the above points are correct. Since using Mozilla (the Suite but Firefox will work) and Thunderbird, my spyware has dropped to ZERO (from about 2 or 3 every time I scanned.) I also feel more secure as I browse the internet.

I highly recommend ditching IE and Outlook as well.

For me , I have two partitions on my main drive.
    One for DAW, and one for internet. Install Anti-virus on the
    internet partition, and the DAW partition will be clean.
    Its safer but it will take more disk space because you`ll be
    installing, the OS twice on your HDD.

I've been using NOD32 from www.eset.com for a few years now and am very happy with it. It apparently has recently added anti-spyware as well.

Mark McDowell

Go Back to forum