• Register
  • Help

Topic: Theme and Variations GPO Piano

Share/Bookmark

Theme and Variations GPO Piano

Hi All

This little theme and 7 variations for piano is the result of a composition exercise I did. The theme was supposed to be only 8 bars, so the whole exercise is very short and simple but I thought I'd post it here for any comments you might have. I used only Sibelius and GPO Studio. In my opinion, Sibelius handles the GPO piano very well, and one can do almost everything needed within the notation, without going to Cubase. The only thing lacking is the human touch .

You can listen here:
    http://www.thecatcottage.com/ThemeVariationsLouisD.mp3

and if you like to follow the score, you can find it here: http://www.thecatcottage.com/ThemeVariationsLouisD.pdf

Thanks for listening.

Kind Regards
    LouisD

Re: Theme and Variations GPO Piano

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Hi All

This little theme and 7 variations for piano is the result of a composition exercise I did. The theme was supposed to be only 8 bars, so the whole exercise is very short and simple but I thought I'd post it here for any comments you might have. I used only Sibelius and GPO Studio. In my opinion, Sibelius handles the GPO piano very well, and one can do almost everything needed within the notation, without going to Cubase. The only thing lacking is the human touch .

You can listen here:
    http://www.thecatcottage.com/ThemeVariationsLouisD.mp3

and if you like to follow the score, you can find it here: http://www.thecatcottage.com/ThemeVariationsLouisD.pdf

Thanks for listening.

Kind Regards
    LouisD

Well, I will check it out shortly. Since you are using Sibelius, you can also upload the score to Sibelius Music.com, and all users (via Scorch) can view and listen simultaneously, and maybe some Sibelius users will comment on the music.

Quite a bit of expression can be achieved in Sibelius. I don't know the details, because for this purpose, I use Sonar. Sibelius is great for notation, but has some problems that are troublesome to me, but not to everyone.

Richard

Well done, Louis. An enjoyable piece!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

LouisD:

A very excellent playback of your composition exercise. Sibelius did a fine job, as you have stated, with the GPO piano.

Did you use the Ambience Reverb? And, did you step time the piece or play it in?

A really, really good reproduction of your variations and good use of the GPO Steinway. Let us hear more. Are you a keyboard major?

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thank you for the comments everyone.

Richard, you're right, one certainly can't expect Sibelius to produce professional quality wav's, but I think if the task at hand is simple enough, it sounds quite respectable. Of course, nothing beats a good sequencer. The problem with 'Scorch' is that you rely on people's sound cards for the quality of the playback. If the midi sounds anything like my soundcard, then I would rather not have them listen. The impression one gets from the music relies so much on how it sounds in terms of sound quality.

John, the reverb is the Ambience Ballroom setting in GPO Studio. I did enter the notes "live" into Sibelius using my midi keyboard in order to get the velocities right, but not in real time. I'm a flautist and my keyboard skills are somewhat limited, so I could never play this myself in real time, unless I take a month off to practice it .

Kind regards

LouisD

Nice piece! Nice sequencing! Thoroughly enjoyed the listen.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Absolutely delightful, Louis. I'd love the score to this to learn myself on piano (when my skills are actually up to snuff - I've just gone back to taking piano lessons).

Thank you for sharing this wonderful composition.

- Michael
    -----------------------------
    - Michael Fortunato

This is great and sounds very human to me. It conjures up an image of late ninetenth century music played in a grand house somewhere in Europe.
    Very nice indeed.

Regards.
    Mike.

Thanks I enjoyed your composition, especially with the score to follow. I was reminded a little of Beethoven (especially near the end) and to a lesser degree of Alkan (his "Festin d'Aesope" variations). the piano reproduction expression-wise is believable, and of course the GPO Steinway tonally is excellent. Well done!

To Ted, Michael, Mike and Eugene

Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment, I really do appreciate your kind and encouraging words.

Kind Regards

LouisD

Go Back to forum