• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cubase and EWQLSO?

Share/Bookmark

Question Cubase and EWQLSO?

I am pretty new to all this sample stuff when it comes to MIDI. I have recently created a score for an Orchestra in Sibelius 3. I then took that MIDI data and opened it in Cubase SE so I could apply EWQLSO samples for each instrument via the VST INSTRUMENTS in Cubase. I have done that for each track and it sounds cool, however, I don't know how to apply different samples for one individual MIDI Track (instument.) Example, the piece requires 1st Violins to be legato in some parts then staccato in others. I was going to assign legato strings to one track and staccato strings to another track yet I learned quickly that I do not have enough midi track channels to do that. So is it possible to have diffent samples be triggered on one MIDI track?

Thanks

Re: Cubase and EWQLSO?

Yes, you may insert a midi instruction in the track that will change the channel the midi data is sent to. I cannot remember the number of the instruction, but check your table of midi instructions that presumably is available in your sequencer.

How many tracks do you need?
    I thought that version of Cubase had unlimited midi tracks.

Perhaps you just need to right click in the space below the track list and add more midi tracks?

As handy and space saving as patch changes are, I generally find it quicker to work with individual tracks/channels/patches rather than combine them on a single track.

Quote Originally Posted by tpetter795
    I am pretty new to all this sample stuff when it comes to MIDI. I have recently created a score for an Orchestra in Sibelius 3. I then took that MIDI data and opened it in Cubase SE so I could apply EWQLSO samples for each instrument via the VST INSTRUMENTS in Cubase. I have done that for each track and it sounds cool, however, I don't know how to apply different samples for one individual MIDI Track (instument.) Example, the piece requires 1st Violins to be legato in some parts then staccato in others. I was going to assign legato strings to one track and staccato strings to another track yet I learned quickly that I do not have enough midi track channels to do that. So is it possible to have diffent samples be triggered on one MIDI track?

Thanks
    For this , you could use Keyswitch patches. You can then
    have many different articulations, such as legato, or short bows
    on the same channel. You change between these articulations
    by hitting keys on the keyboard that are below the range of
    the instrument.
    For instance, right before a legato passage, you would hit CO on
    the keyboard, wich would call the legato articulation up for use.
    In the middle of this legato phrase, you might then hit C#0
    to call up a quickbow articulation. The keys you hit for these
    changes will depend on how whatever keyswitch patch you choose,
    is mapped.
    It will say it in the name of the patch. 11 vi leg KS (ks stands for keyswitch

Go Back to forum