• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Choirs add-on

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Choirs add-on

Hi,

Liking GPO more and more, even though I have EW I'm looking for a choir add-on and noticed there may be one in the works. Any time as to a potential release date as in the Q/YR format...like 3Q '06 or something like that? It'll give me a time frame for a tool I could use now or wait...

Thanks,

- Paul

Re: Garritan Choirs add-on

Yes, the GaryChoir's gone a bit quiet.

I've been thinking that the way forward with this might be to use Melodyne or Leapfrog Rephrase (they have a sale on for a week or so still)

Saxaphones amongst other instruments are using this technology now. I was wondering if one got say three or four people together, it's about time the family did something for me! (maybe you can just impress a choir formant onto a single voice...just thoughts) and recorded these individually with the same phrases on a single note with roughly the same timing.

Using all the variations of formant pitch correction and repitching and the usual MIDI tricks and maybe doubling these four voices to eight I reckon you could get a very decent choir with actual words.

I think this is one way forward for choirs.

Frank

Say 'good riddance' to my little friends

Yes, a choir!
    I never use words when I have a choir. Just oohs and ahhs and os. So I'm just asking a simple library with the three keyswitches for oohs, ahhs, and os. Then mod for dynamic, sustain for legato, maybe a vibrato controller, but I wouldn't really use that much.

That'd be so cool!!

-Chris

I see in Melodyne you can actually take the main vocal line and create harmonies either above or below. I have to admit I was quite interested after watching their video on the product. Pretty cool!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Yes, a choir!
    I never use words when I have a choir. Just oohs and ahhs and os. So I'm just asking a simple library with the three keyswitches for oohs, ahhs, and os. Then mod for dynamic, sustain for legato, maybe a vibrato controller, but I wouldn't really use that much.
    That'd be so cool!!
    -Chris
    I agree...I thought something this simple would be a perfect addition to GPO Advanced. At least until a full blown Garritan Choir Library rears its pretty little head (assuming such a thing is even in the works).

But again, just a thought.

NOOOO NO MORE!!!! It's those same thoughts that have pushed the release of GPOA back further and further.
    Brain Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by bye
    NOOOO NO MORE!!!! It's those same thoughts that have pushed the release of GPOA back further and further.
    I don't disagree, per se. But a couple ooo's and aaaah's couldn't hoit?

I just remembered and had a job to track it down.....doesn't time pass quickly!!! I posted this on a choir thread in the Sample discussion forum but thought it appropriate to spam it here. : -

You might like to consider the 'clone ensemble' if you want words. (Beware, it costs $25 to register it )

I've thought it out as far as this. Sing your harmony lines into Melodyne or Leapfrog Rephrase (25% sale currently on) to pitch correct and timing correct. (Partyticipants could sing their line on one note....just to capture the words and the timbre/ formant).

Then apply clone ensemble. May I direct you to this link: -

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum...highlight=choir

I think that this technique, with intelligent use, (like using more than a single voice to seed it with) could produce remarkable results at low cost.

Frank

Say 'good riddance' to my little friends

Quote Originally Posted by bye
    I can't even run GPOA on my current computer and won't have one untill probably Augest, so I'm in no hurry!

(gee, that was a really selfish statement! )

-Chris

Smile Re: Garritan Choirs add-on

[QUOTE=Hardy Heern]I just remembered and had a job to track it down.....doesn't time pass quickly!!! I posted this on a choir thread in the Sample discussion forum but thought it appropriate to spam it here. : -

You might like to consider the 'clone ensemble' if you want words. (Beware, it costs $25 to register it )

I've thought it out as far as this. Sing your harmony lines into Melodyne or Leapfrog Rephrase (25% sale currently on) to pitch correct and timing correct. (Partyticipants could sing their line on one note....just to capture the words and the timbre/ formant).

Then apply clone ensemble. May I direct you to this link: -

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum...highlight=choir

I think that this technique, with intelligent use, (like using more than a single voice to seed it with) could produce remarkable results at low cost.

Frank

Frank, I think you are on the right track, but I'd like to embellish a bit as I own both Melodyne and Clone Ensemble. You can achieve an ensemble from one voice with both products, no doubt. However, the results will be very different....

Clone Ensemble is great. The author is great. I have a blast using the product. However, if I need a realistic voice multiplier, Clone Ensemble is not the answer. I have found it useful for more pop or techno effects rather than a `real' choir and have stumbled on various methods of use to create bizarre (read: not realistic) effects. I always look forward to it getting updated because the product gets better and better.

Melodyne can give you the realistic voice multiplier that I think people are looking for in this thread. There are tricks to get it right, some of which are not intuitive. The forums for Melodyne have various tips. My recommendation is to explore multiplying by copying a voice and moving the copy up or down a few (very few, like 4 to 10 at times) cents and forward and backward a few cents. This alone will create more voices than I would have guessed. Next you can start working with Formant and pitch variences to add more and then top it off with some pitch stretching / collapsing. All have to be very (and I mean *very*) small adjustments or else you will get dissonance that is not wanted. I am at this point working on recording myself singing each part of a four part harmony and then multiplying myself out to a full choir. Challenging, but fun.

For any of you who are comparing Melodyne with Auto-Tune (which I also own) I'll say this. I've only had Melodyne for a few weeks now and it has in every instance been a more capable program than Auto-Tune. It is easier to use, provides superior output and uses less CPU. The Melodyne CE8 product is $300 at AudioMidi.com and is worth every penny.

As a last sidenote, I have also thrown Melodyne at GPO and Diva and the quick test was *amazing*. (Insert evil laugh here.)

I would love to hear what others think about Melodyne and Clone Ensemble. Both products are great and I'd love to hear experiences others have had with them.
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum