• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT - Koss Headphwens ...

Share/Bookmark

OT - Koss Headphwens ...

I had an old broken dusty pair of Koss Pro 4AA headphones stuck in storage since about 79 or 80. I purchased them somewhere around 1973 -75 and used them for everything. So, to make a short story super long , I decided to see if Koss still would honor their "Lifetime" warranty and pulled them out of snortage to send last week. Yesterday, a brand new headset came in the mail, same model Pro 4 AA with no explanation from Koss, just new headphones. So, I brought them down to my studio and plugged them in, loaded up a project with vocals and wow! Just how I remembered how nice and clear and separated every sound was. Now I remember what I like the most about them was the closed cup and no outside noise to distract the ear from hearing the music.
    Well, ya see! I ran off with my story but I like ya's so much I wanted to share. I have three headphwen sets, one A.T., a Sony, and another Koss T-80. The Pro 4AA are going to see a lot of work as my favorite!
    I still can't believe after all this time Koss sent me a new headphewn set in replacement of the old beat up one from so long ago in a galaxy far away!
    Styxx

Re: OT - Koss Headphwens ...

Wow, that is pretty good service though. In this day and age (with some notable exceptions of course) that kind of service is rare.

Styxx, I used to have a pair of those, but I think mine were Pro 4 AAA. They had ear pad cushions that were oil filled. They did seal out the outside noise incredibly, but you sweat like a m... well you know.

That's great that they replaced them, I can see now, everybody goes to their local pawn shop and buys a pair for 5 bucks and sends them in.

The bass response was LOUD but I remember the high end being really poor.
    Are these the green ones?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Styxx, I used to have a pair of those, but I think mine were Pro 4 AAA. They had ear pad cushions that were oil filled. They did seal out the outside noise incredibly, but you sweat like a m... well you know.

That's great that they replaced them, I can see now, everybody goes to their local pawn shop and buys a pair for 5 bucks and sends them in.

The bass response was LOUD but I remember the high end being really poor.
    Are these the green ones?

Dan
    Well, not really green but sort of a shade of. As for the high end, now that you've mentioned that was the case back then but with these new ones it doesn't seem to be. They have an overall real flat response to them. You are right about the cushions though. Sweating is still and issue. But, I got to tell you they have the best clarity out of all the others I own (so far). Be that it may, there are several issues one has to account for before sending. The old ones I stored in the original box with the original receipt (a habit of mine) and it cost you $7.00 for the return from Koss. My T-80 are going back next.
    I still can't get over the separation. GPO instruments sound 100% better as if I have a new set of sounds or something.
    Got to go~! Time for a bike ride with the misses~
    Styxx

I'm getting a bike soon too, gotta get more exercise.

Dan

Hey Dan, I was listening more attentively using the Pro 4AA and you are right about the nice bass response and the high end does seem a little weak. Still, quite nice to work with and I'm now wondering what to search for as far as something better. Most of my work is through monitors except at the dead of night when everyone is shleepink!
    A bike you say? I couldn't spend a ton of money with needing one for my wife as well. She loves hers at $69.00 from WalMart. Mine, is a Schwinn S25 Mountain bike that is sold through Target for $199.99. I didn't buy from Target. I found the same bike at a local resale sporting shop for half. I love it! We're out every day after dinner cruising the neighborhood.
    Now, back to adding more GPO violins to a song. A God send GPO is!
    BTW - I think I burned a hole in Rick Zelle's CD! I play it everyday after work.
    Happy biking Dan!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I think I burned a hole in Rick Zelle's CD! I play it everyday after work.
    Happy biking Dan!
    HA HA HA
    Rick's CD is fun.
    I use a pair of AKG K240 DF headphones, not K240, but K240 DF, huge difference.
    A little expensive compared to many, but very nice to wear and mix on.
    You can trust them.
    I once did a "live" to 2 track digital recording of Handel's Messiah and mixed the whole thing on these very headphones. The mix turned out pretty decent considering there was no soundcheck whatsoever.
    What the heck, here is some of that recording. I did this a long time ago on my Soundcraft console with 24 mics.
    The pipe organ is sporting the 32 foot stop, so be careful on the last note.
    Hallelujah Chorus
    please forgive the obnoxcious soprano
    dpDan

I got my K240DF's from Zzounds.com a couple of years ago for $119 and the last time I checked they were up to $129 + shipping. Musician's Friend wanted $160 for them and some other sites wanted over $200. I love mine and use them all the time for everything EXCEPT vocals where they don't work real well because they are open back and there is bleed onto the track from them.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomcatII
    I got my K240DF's from Zzounds.com a couple of years ago for $119 and the last time I checked they were up to $129 + shipping. Musician's Friend wanted $160 for them and some other sites wanted over $200. I love mine and use them all the time for everything EXCEPT vocals where they don't work real well because they are open back and there is bleed onto the track from them.

Tom
    So far the least expensive I've found was $159 DJTronics. Even at that price they're out of the question for me at present. The open back is a problem when recording vocals. The other two phones I have are open back bleed through is always a problem. Last night I was working on some harmonies and noticed no bleed through with the Koss Pro 4AA. I was very pleased.
    Styxx

Holy sheyet, I just checked and Zzounds is now up to $200 for those things!!!!

Tom

Go Back to forum