• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Midi Interface--PCI vs Serial vs Parallel vs USB

Share/Bookmark

Midi Interface--PCI vs Serial vs Parallel vs USB

I just bought a serial MIDI interface (Midiman BiPort 2x4/S) for my PC, but I haven\'t hooked it up yet. I was reading my GigaStudio documentation and they strongly recommended going with a PCI MIDI interface. According to them, Parellel interfaces are slightly slower, and USB interfaces are really bad. They didn\'t mention serial interfaces.

I would like to know what kind of experience people here have had with different MIDI interfaces. I got the serial interface because I am running out of slots in my PC plus I thought an external box would be a lot more convenient. Should I consider sending it back and getting an internal card?

Re: Midi Interface--PCI vs Serial vs Parallel vs USB

Does anyone know who actually manufactures a PCI MIDI interface? MOTU, MIDIMAN and Emagic all make interfaces that are serial- or USB-compatible. I suppose you can get a Frontier card and get the MIDI interface expansion.. that\'s technically a PCI MIDI interface. But does anyone manufacture a standalone PCI MIDI interface?

------------------

I use a MOTU Micro Express parallel interface and it works great. Never notice any timing errors. Tried a USB interface with bad results. Was getting constant pops and clicks even though it was on it\'s on IRQ.

I used an Alesis serial port interface for a long time with no problems at all. If I\'m not mistaken the driver is Midiman Code. Peace.

Jamieh,

Howdy. It seems I always end up posting threads to you! I went with BC Music for the Freak Controller, as they were out of them in
    NYC. Thanks for the lead.

As for the PCI Midi card, did you ever make the switch? Or find out more?

Best,
    Didier

No, I didn\'t switch. In fact, I haven\'t even hooked up my serial MIDI box yet. The only reason I got it was that I needed a new SMPTE time sync, because my old SMPTE card was an old ISA card and wouldn\'t work in my new machine. But my MAudio Audiophile card has MIDI capabilities, and I only need one input right now, so I\'m using that for MIDI. The project I\'m currently working on hasn\'t made a final copy yet, so I don\'t have any SMPTE to sync up to. Even when I do, I may just use that box to do SMPTE and keep my MIDI input on the Audio card.

Specs for a 5-pin DIN Cable

serial cable @ around 38 kb/sec.

I have a pair of MusicQuest MQX-32 ISA Cards Sitting around. I’d love to find a new home for them.

Good point Ed, Nemesys told me the same thing that I need to use a PCI [they also said a ISA midi interface would work too.] But Ive gone to all the local music stores in the Tampa bay area and no one sells any thing like that .
    So the way I have reolved the problem since Im using a Darla 24 with no midi connections is to put any old crappy cheap ISA or PCI sound card in your computer and since your not going to use the audio on that card ,disable the audio,legacy and every other driver on that card exept the one that controls midi[you might have to experiment to figure which one that is] .
    Now you have working midi and you have disabled all those other drivers on that card that can conflict with your other main giga/sequencer soundcard.
    It\'s worked fine for me on a Pentium 3 450 .

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill:
    I have a pair of MusicQuest MQX-32 ISA Cards Sitting around. I’d love to find a new home for them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go Back to forum