• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mac User Needs Advice for Getting Started...

Share/Bookmark

Mac User Needs Advice for Getting Started...

I\'m a composer that does lots of large orchestral work. I use Pro Tools on the Mac, and the sequencer in Pro Tools. I have a Roland 760 sampler. I want to go with a Gigasampler system, but have no idea what I\'m doing on a PC...I\'m Mac through and through. So while I know there are turnkey PC solutions out there for Gigasampler, I suspect with the proper advice I could put the system together cheaper buying it myself. Is there anyone out there that can safely recommend what I would need to get in a PC with the following in mind:

1 I do not want to kid around, or just get by. This system has to have as many voices as possible and not be limited in any way because I skimped on either memory, the drive, etc. It has to be first class.

2 I will be using it only as another \"voice\" (albeit the main one) in the room...I\'ll send MIDI from the Mac into whatever interface this thing wants, and the outputs will go back into the Digi system, either via SPDIF, or analog pairs, depending on the outputs available from whatever card I need. Gee, it\'s getting complicated even thinking about it...makes my head hurt.

But there really isn\'t another option. I cannot afford to buy 35 Roland or AKAI units like Hans Zimmer, so from I\'ve heard, this beast will play an orchestral setup back with no problem. I am a bit worried about the clicks and pops I keep reading about people encountering up here....but at any rate, would appreciate your advice. Thanks...this is a big, scary step for a Mac guy.....

Re: Mac User Needs Advice for Getting Started...

From what I\'ve read, your idea of using the GS on a separate PC is the only way to expect 160 voices.

My guess is that click and pops come from people trying to run audio on the same machine, or running GS on an underspec\'d PC.
    Theoretically, you should be able to runs audio, midi and GS - but I don\'t see many people shouting their success.

Donnie from DSSoundware is doing exactly what you want to do and getting reliable performance from his Mac-PC setup. He seems extremely happy with it. Maybe you should email him. He seems like a really helpful guy.

info@dssoundware.com

Chadwick, I have a dedicated P3 700 with 640MB RAM, fast IBM + Maxtor IDE66 HD\'s for Gigastudio but still I can\'t get over about 120 voices without crackling and timing problems. That MIGHT be because I am using a VIA chipset but I don\'t know. The bottom line is, I think, that equally spec\'ed PC\'s can give you very different performance depending on chipset, motherboard, ram, HD, OS etc etc etc..... I regard my PC\'s necessary evils....

Very frustrating Simon - sorry to hear it...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Chadwick, I have a dedicated P3 700 with 640MB RAM, fast IBM + Maxtor IDE66 HD\'s for Gigastudio but still I can\'t get over about 120 voices without crackling and timing problems. That MIGHT be because I am using a VIA chipset but I don\'t know. The bottom line is, I think, that equally spec\'ed PC\'s can give you very different performance depending on chipset, motherboard, ram, HD, OS etc etc etc..... I regard my PC\'s necessary evils.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi!
    I\'m using a PIII 733, 256 Ram and a single
    HD. My Card is a Delta 44. I sequence in Logic Audio. Use gigastudio (outs 1&2)A lot of voices all the time and sync all to record the audio into cubase. (Ins 3&4) All in the same PC!!! My clicks, audio delay and crashes went out when I upgrade my Gigastudio. Maybe I need more Ram but Until now my set works very fine!!!

------------------

Tom,
    I\'m in the same postion as you. I\'m a mac guy (protools, S760 and Studio vision pro, who recently moved to logic) and composer. I recently made the jump to giga. It was scary, especially after lurking in these forums and seeing all the problems that others were having.
    I had a custom built PC made by Dave at soundsonics. It\'s a P3 733 with 256ram and 2-15 gig 7200 ata 66 hard drives. I output via a wave card through adat opitcal to an 02R mixer. I\'ve gotten a full 160 voices out of giga before, and for the most part, I don\'t have any pops or clicks.
    I\'ve had some other problems with giga: tranlation ability is still in development for sure - I have mostly Roland lib. and use the program translator, which is good but still not perfect. Giga itself will crash on occasion for no apparant reason (illegal operation reported by windows) and Windows can be a pain in the *** sometimes. This ain\'t no \"drop off a ledge\" and it still works Mac. So I won\'t be ditching my samplers anytimes soon, because I can\'t take a chance on giga as my sole source of orchestral sounds. But, with all that said, I still think that giga is wonderful when it works. The support seems to be a bit lacking, but I hopeful that they will keep improving it. I would recommend going for it - just keep in mind that it\'s not going to replace everything with a wonderful all in one work horse. If you do that, you should be fine, and make sure you get a good PC.
    Good luck.

Dear Tripit,

I am in your old shoes (ie- PTools, Mac, Emu/Akais, DP). I am looking to take the plunge and believe I will go with a system from either Sound Chaser, Soundsonics or perhaps Rainbow Guitars. How much did you pay for your rig, if I may be so bold as to ask. Ballpark is fine, w/out a monitor.

Best,
    Didier

My advice is if you are willing to dig around inside your machine, play with settings, and do other funky stuff like setting up dual boots, then go with a near top of the line machine from a standard vendor (I got a Micron, and I have heard some people have success with Dell), add the extra stuff you need like digital audio card, 2nd hard drive, and extra memory, and then play around with the settings to get it to work. I think you can save a lot of money this way.

However, if you don\'t feel like dealing with all the setup issues and $$$ isn\'t a big issue, getting one of the places that is an expert at setting up Gigastudio machines is probably a good idea. You will pay more $$$, but you have someone who has dealt with the problems before working with you.

By the way Tom, I highly recommend at least 512MB for orchestral work. I actually wish I had a bit more. Then again, do I REALLY need that contra-bassoon patch loaded?

[This message has been edited by Jamieh (edited 02-09-2001).]

Go Back to forum