• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: BEst Pads,Ethereal soundscapes ?

Share/Bookmark

BEst Pads,Ethereal soundscapes ?

Which has the best soundscape, b/g moods, ethereal sounding pads,
    Atmosphere, Absynth or Colossus ?
    The list of presets for Atmosphere is online, but I've only seen a general list for Absynth and categories for Colossus.

Thanks heaps for opinions -

Lynne

Re: BEst Pads,Ethereal soundscapes ?

Well, Colossus is more of an "all rounder", I'd say. Kind of a GM module on serious steroids, so although you'd get some nice pads I'm sure, it's not really designed for just that.

Absynth is awesome and you can get some great pads/weird sounds and textures out of it. I have Absynth and recently bought Atmosphere. Atmosphere has become my synth of choice for pads, evolving textures and loads of other stuff. It's very versatile and the sound quality/ease of use is stellar - important when you're writing to deadlines, etc.. I'd heartily recommend Atmosphere for the sounds you're referring to, then maybe get Absynth at a later time.

Yea, Atmosphere is my first reach as well. There's so much useable content there, it's rare to not find exactly what I have in mind.

Logic's Sculpture is another great one for this, but obviously you need Logic to use it.

I did a track last week that ended up using 14 Atmosphere sounds. I really tried to use other synths, just to break it up, but none could go where Atmosphere went as quickly, and as perfectly...

thanks Steve, Jaimo !

I was just reading somewhere Absynth needs programming as well.
    So if there are tons of Atmosphere presets, especially if they are long, and evolve, can be used sectionally and easily. I liked the list of presets at spectrasonics site.

Questions still for you, since I've caught a couple replies :
    I do have Logic and sculpture, I just find I'm not patient enough to really spend time. I also find it uses a lot of cpu, so that one instance really takes up space if there are other instruments.
    Is that equally true with absynth and stormdrone pads ?
    Is it true that all these pads use a lot of headroom, space, texture so there is kindof room for only a sound or two somewhere else ? I've heard some of the distorted reality for eg. and many sounds have so much going on, confused pitches, huge pitch changes, that it's limiting to what you add.
    I know Colossus only has a certain number of pads, but the stormdrone idea of mod wheel is very appealing. And in June you can get colossus with Ra, sym.choirs. Are any of the colossus pads 'nice' 'dreamy''ambient' 'gentle' or are they all steroid-enthused ? - like what percent ?

lastly, my 2cents about logic presets is that there are many synthy things and many synthy thing variations, but not too many are 'normal' sounding enough for me, as if the programmers churned out tons of these things to sell the package as having 'hundreds of presets' .

thanks very much !
    Lynne

I really do appreciate the Atmosphere enthusiasm, it helps a lot.

Talking Re: BEst Pads,Ethereal soundscapes ?

Atmosphere is it hands down......... If anyone's got anything else that comes remotely close, I'd love to hear about it...

Ultrafocus has some cool stuff worth noting too.

Talking Re: BEst Pads,Ethereal soundscapes ?

Quote Originally Posted by 3catnap
    thanks Steve, Jaimo !

Are any of the colossus pads 'nice' 'dreamy''ambient' 'gentle' or are they all steroid-enthused ? - like what percent ?
    I liked this description alot!!! Ho!!!!!!!

So you do have Sculpture? Cool...

I love it for the "dark and brooding" stuff, but beyond that, can't seem to get anything quite happening. And yes, you're right... Sonic real-estate after adding a Sculpture sound is somewhat limited...

Which is another reason to look at Atmosphere.

First off, yes the sounds are full, but not anywhere near as over-bearing (in an arrangement sort of way) as Distorted Reality can be.

Secondly, if a sound is still too "big, it's very easy to "trim" the sound back, simply by muting one, or changing the balance of the 2 layers that a typical sound is comprised of. Or by swapping sounds between the layers, or by adding more low pass (or high pass) filter, ( or by adding your own EQ, delay, chorus, Reverb IR, etc, etc, etc..)

And if "Dreamy", "Ambient" and/or "Gentle" are the types of pads you're looking for, stop your search. Atmosphere has tons of them. Beautiful, unobtrusive sounding beds. As well as obtrusive ones, should the need arise!

Absolutely - it's really beautiful sounding. I've found that I can now get the exact sound I'm looking for, if not with one of the (1,000?) presets, then by tweaking or programming my own with the huge amount of raw material included with Atmosphere. I write music for a living and often have very little time to finish stuff, so although I enjoy programming sounds, most of the time I need something *now* and that's where Atmosphere really delivers. I've found it's not really a hog on your system unless you really go nuts, but that's what the bounce button's there for, right? Plenty of RAM is helpful though...

Thought I'd check the forum quick after watching 'racing stripes' - cute talking animal movie - excellent orchestral Mark Isham - and before hitting the hay.
    Wow. Thanks everyone. Decision made.
    And, right, important that gentle unobtrusive sounds can be part of a strong, incisive orchestral cue but you want that b/g or low, mid or hi tone in there.

Go Back to forum