• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best for Kontakt/GS3 sequencing,MAudio Keystation Pro 88 or Fatar VMK88?

Share/Bookmark

Best for Kontakt/GS3 sequencing,MAudio Keystation Pro 88 or Fatar VMK88?

Hi!
    I am trying to decide between these two 88 keyboard controllers the M Audio Keystation Pro 88 and the Fatar VMK88 both are basically same price. My main use will be for creating music using Kontakt, Sonar and GS3. Piano playing is also important but just as a hobby altough I intented to learn the piano and see if I can become a half decent player. There will be no gigs for this instrument as it will stay in my studio all the time...so based on this what do you think?
    Regards

Re: Best for Kontakt/GS3 sequencing,MAudio Keystation Pro 88 or Fatar VMK88?

Well, I have the M-audio 88 and love it. For the price you cannot go wrong. i don't know what to do with all the slide, knobs, and buttons, although it is very easy to setup with Cubase or Sonar. I think you should really test the feel of both and make your choice.

I like (not love) the Pro 88. It's fairly solid, and feels good to me....but I'm not one of those super picky pianist people. It's a bit hard to get accuracy in the lower velocity range but you can adjust the sensitivity to minimize the issue a bit.

To be quite honest, I've yet to take full advantage of all the knobs, levers and buttons that come on the damn thing....but I do think they look cool!

I was thinking of checking out the new Omnipotent controller from that one company that is selling through Musician's Friend since it has breath control inputs and (I think) polyphonic aftertouch. If I really like the feel I would consider selling my Pro 88 in favor of that one...but otherwise I'm happy with it.

My only big negative on the Pro 88 is that (due to the hammer action) it's a bit deep...probably about 6 inches or so, and because of that it's harder to position it under a desk without the bottom of it hitting your knees.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Yeah, I have mine set pretty high on a keyboard stand. Not sure the best way to store it. The keys work ok for me. I haven't tested Fatar, but I was looking for price. Primarily use it for playing into puter, and for controlling playback. Not used the knobs and such. Frankly, it can be overwhelming when I look at the thing.

How about Aftertouch...should I be concern that the Fatar has it while the Maudio doesnt? I just saw a 76 key Alesis in the same price range that looks interesting also...

How are you going to use aftertouch?

My primary needs for having a keyboard is for:

* When working on paper, to use as a place to check my ideas - both conceptual and orchestrational.
    * When I have no ideas for paper pieces, to use to capture improvisational data to get ideas - for film and demos.

Any midi data I end up editing the hell out of it using Cubase. The keyboard is primarily on my Malmsjo piano patch most of the time while writing. So, in some ways all those extra knobs and bells end up being giant paperweights.

M88 as far as I can tell doesn't have aftertouch. Its expensive.

Is aftertouch then not a must have feature for sequencing?
    Also, there is a new contender now, the Edirol PCR-M80 seems to be very good according to some people that likes it better than the Maudio one. Its 61 keys though so I dont if that is gonna be a problem when using samplers and the key switching options.
    Regards

Aftertouch is only good if you like using aftertouch. I ALWAYS end up mapping it to something for synthetic textures, and to me it seems natural to apply it to positive pitchbend for basses & guitars.

It's part of synth playing for me, but I know many very fine players who don't even both with it.

--WAIT-- stop the presses - what's this about a new controller with poly aftertouch!?! Does anyone have a link?

--Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric G
    --WAIT-- stop the presses - what's this about a new controller with poly aftertouch!?! Does anyone have a link?

--Eric
    The CME keyboards do NOT have poly aftertouch - mono only.

I used to use an M1 a while back which had aftertouch. I re-programmed several of my sample libraries to take advantage of the aftertouch but after a while I realized I wasn't using it nearly as much as I originally thought I would.

With the Pro 88 I could assign a knob or lever to control whichever Aftertouch function I used to access, and it would probably be considerably more precise than keyboard aftertouch which can feel very much like it only has 2 settings, on and off.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Go Back to forum