• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Amazing RD-700sx for piano sounds

Share/Bookmark

Amazing RD-700sx for piano sounds

We all now know that Roland has sampled each 88 keys of some grand pianos thru 3 or 4 layers. But I've discovered also many interessant things in my new RD-700sx.

In the menu "ONE TOUCH PIANO", there are some tweaks like :
    - sympathetic resonance with harmonic rules between played notes, pedal up (across 4 octaves... it manages up to 14 harmonics - if I counted correctly)
    - sympathetic resonance when sustain pedal is down (many tweakable parameters)
    - 6 positions for the opening of the lid
    - each one of the 88 notes can be tuned as desired!
    - emulation of recording thru dynamic or condenser micros, with tweakable recording distance.
    etc.

Re: Amazing RD-700sx for piano sounds

Have you tested it out? How does it compare to the piano samples we're all familiar with? Is it a Steinway, BTW, and any guess on which model?

JG

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant
    Have you tested it out? How does it compare to the piano samples we're all familiar with? Is it a Steinway, BTW, and any guess on which model?

JG
    I was going to ask that!! Have the big, hardware, three kept up with the software libs?

Frank

Yea, I've heard the Roland Rd-700sx is a killer keyboard. I plan to check it out next time I'm at guitar center (if they have one). Perhaps I'll purchase one for my next upgrade. Have you checked out the midi functions? And how do you like the feel of the keyboard?

cjsm

More than check it out, I own it now.
    Piano sounds are very very great, with great dynamic.

Keyboard really fits to me : firm, rapid (good for quickly repeated notes, with exact nuances), very expressive. You can configure the responsness as you want, from extra light to super heavy (5 presets with 20 settings between each presets).

You can directly control 4 independant parts by MIDI. So, a great master keyboard too. And it can be multitimbral with 16 parts (GM2).

cjsm,

Here's a link to other user reviews: http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth..._700SX-01.html

Quote Originally Posted by xav93
    More than check it out, I own it now.
    Hi. I've been looking very seriously at buying the RD-700SX. My only concern is that keyboard is not my primary instrument and while I am working on my playing, I am not a great keyboard player by any means. Would you recommend it to someone like me? I would be using it in the studio only. I also have a nice acoustic piano in the house.

Thanks.

If money is not a problem for you, yes you can. But have in mind what you really want it to do. If you search for a great keyboard, with great piano sounds and midi fonctions, it's made for you.

Quote Originally Posted by xav93
    If you search for a great keyboard, with great piano sounds and midi functions, it's made for you.
    That about sums up what I am looking for. I thought about just getting a controller, but I really like the idea of the keyboard having its own sounds so I don't have to use the computer unless I want to. The other possibility I am considering is a Yamaha P90. I like the keyboard feel very much, but it's not in the same league as the 700SX (then again, either is the price ).

Money is always an issue to consider, but I have a feeling it might be worth trying to spring for the Roland. I'm sure it would last me a very long time.

Wow! Thanks for the responses and links. I definitly need to check out this piano. I'd like to replace my Yamaha P80, and this sounds like the keyboard I'm looking for. I do have an MP9500 I'm very happy with, but I like having a second keyboard. The 700sx is lighter then the Kawai, (thought heavier then the P80), so it would be better then the Kawai for gigging.

As for the P80, well, I'm sick to death of its piano sounds (although I liked it at first), and it has very limited midi features, at least compared to the Kawai. And I don't like the feel of the keyboard as much as the Kawai. But, the P80 is still an awesome keyboard, so I'd like to pass it on to my sister-in-law, and get this.

Well, there goes my five year plan for paying off my credit card debt. But credit card debt is good. It builds character. That's the ticket, paying off my credit card on time is building my character. If I keep on running up debt at this rate, I'm going to be canidate for sainthood.

cjsm - soon to be a saint or in debtor's prison

Go Back to forum