• Register
  • Help

Topic: Laptop, Notebook for Audio

Laptop, Notebook for Audio

Hi, I am shopping for a laptop/notebook for doing GS, GPO and Cubase SX on the run. Assuming I do the audio on an external drive, what's the best thing I can get under $1400?

Ideal Specs:

1GB+ Ram
    5400rpm+ drive (audio on firewire drive, let's not count that in the price)
    pci express chipset with whatever graphics (how much does graphics matter with these apps?)
    very nice screen
    DVD burner (could take or leave this)

Orcas Island

Re: Laptop, Notebook for Audio

Hi Derek,

I have a couple of Dells that work perfect for me and that I've used at trade shows, giving presentations, on the plane and on my hammock .

One is a Dell Inspiron 5150. It has a 15" screen, weighs about 8 lbs, 1 GB RAM and a 3 Ghz procesor. I can get over 60 instruments running simulataneously.

The other is an ultraportable Dell 700m. It has a 12" screen, weighs under 3 lbs, has 1 GB RAM, and 1 Pentium-M 2.0 process (equivalent of a 2.4 - 2.8).
    I get about 40 instruments running.

Both are great machines and I've had no problems whatsoever. I know of pwople with Toshibas and HPs that also have great results.

The important thing is to see if you can try it out and see what works with your style and is most comfortable. Some are a bit bulky and some ultraportable, some have touch pads and some pointer mouses, some have firewire and some do not. Wi-fi is also good to have in a portable computer.

Hope this helps,

Gary Garritan

Re: Laptop, Notebook for Audio

40 Instruments!! Geesh. I could only dream of that with my Apple 1GHz powerbook, 1GB of RAM.

: )
    Steve Hanlon, guitarist/composer
    Logic 7, PowerMac DP 2.0 (8- RAM slot model), 4GB RAM, OS 10.4.11
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Lots of V.I. and sound effects
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

Go Back to forum