• Register
  • Help

Topic: more ram

Share/Bookmark

more ram

hi, just wondering if getting more ram will directly effect the amount of instruments i can load up. The memory indicator on the left side of GS fills up to 97 percent and i\'ve only load about 8 or 9 instruments. I\'ve got 196 meg of RAM. If I add 256 meg of ram will that allow me to load say double or more the amount of instruments (taking into account variable sizes of .gigs)?

Josh

Re: more ram

Yes, for the most part. My understanding of it is that doubling your memory would allow you to double the number of samples that are loaded at any given time. I believe Giga Studio loads the first part of the samples into RAM to help out with the access time. It shouldn\'t really matter how large each individual sample is, but the quantity of them is directly related to your memory usage. Therefore, instruments with large numbers of samples (chromatic sampling and/or multi-layered) can take up lots of room. So either buy more memory - it\'s cheap right now - or eliminate the parts of your instruments that you don\'t need. I find it a little odd that you are only getting 8 or 9 instruments, but if some of these instruments are keyboards or instruments with 3 or 4 layers, that will do it.

More memory helps, right now sticks of 256 SDRAM PC133 are dirt cheap (check pricewatch.com), I\'ve seen prices under $75. Check with your vendor to make sure you get the right kind / compatible ram for your particular motherboard/ CPU, and watch out for the shipping/ handling charges, some vendors quote a low price on product and nail you with outlandish shipping charges.

From the Nemesys FAQ:

Although this is a hard disk sampler, it uses system RAM to keep the latency down to a real time level. This is computer system memory. You do not need to put RAM in your soundcard. That won’t make any difference to the
    GigaSampler. The length of the sample makes no difference. A 10 second and a 10 minute sample use the same amount of memory. A computer with 128 megs of system RAM can load approximately 1200 mono or 600 stereo samples. The complexity of the instrument determines how much memory it will use up. You could have one instrument use up all 700 samples or have 700 instruments with 1 sample each or any combination in between. If you add more RAM to your computer then you can increase this number. GigaSampler will not limit you. The approximate relationship is.
    32 Megs RAM – 216mono\\108 stereo
    64 Megs RAM – 500 mono\\250 stereo
    128 Megs RAM – 1200 mono\\600 stereo
    256 Megs RAM – 2500 mono\\1250 stereo
    And so on.

Thanks all.

Prices on ram are incredibly low. I checked pricewatch.com too and was stunned. Heck I might get two sticks of 256! oooooohhhh...ram....

I just ordered 2 - 256MB PC133 DIMMS. I decided to pay a little more and get memory with lifetime warranty. Make sure what you get is CAS3 - some of the cheaper memory is CAS2.

Actually, CAS2 is faster than CAS3. If you have the opportunity to buy CAS2 for cheaper than CAS3, buy the CAS2.

Steve Mitchell
    The Classical MIDI Resource
    The CMR Players

Thanks for the correction Steve! My mind went dead when I did that reply. I did order CAS2 memory.

Go Back to forum