• Register
  • Help

Topic: Amour Tendre: my first orchestral only piece - Feedback appreciated

Share/Bookmark

Amour Tendre: my first orchestral only piece - Feedback appreciated

Hello,

This is the first time I am attempting an orchestral only arrangement. The tune is a little AABA theme derived from a piano improvisation. Here is the link to my mp3 page, please chose "Amour Tendre (work in progress)":

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/pierrelaroche.htm

Everything is done in Finale 2005 with human playback triggering the GPO studio. It is the first time I use human playback, so it is not as expressive as it could be.

I am seeking for comments about the way the tune is orchestrated, to know if I am on the right track or not.

Thank you in advance
    Pierre Laroche

Re: Amour Tendre: my first orchestral only piece - Feedback appreciated

Bon jour, Pierre.

Very pretty and it has a lot of potential. In my opinion, the violin is a bit "screechy" and nerve-jangling in that register and doesn't fit the character of your music. Try the violin an octave lower.

Nice work.

Regards,

Larry Alexander
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi Pierre

This piece is simply beautiful. Personally, I didn't find the violin distracting, but I guess it depends on one's tastes . I really think you did a wonderful job, and since it's comming from Finale, makes it even more remarkable.

I liked it very much.

Kind Regards

LouisD

Thumbs up Re: Amour Tendre: my first orchestral only piece - Feedback appreciated

Not much human feel? Why this comes pretty dang close! Very pretty and soothing! The French ... such nice work always. Sorry Larry, I didn't find the violin out of range or screechy.
    Keep up the nice work Pierre!
    Styxx

I'd say you are very well along the right track, Pierre... very pretty piece. Most enjoyable!

Perhaps a little more attention to instrument balance -- though I can't precisely put my finger on it, that seemed just slightly shaky in a few places.

I also use Finale/2005, though, and it can be very difficult to get that "just right" in straight notation dynamics. Usually, I wind up setting up several slightly different levels for the same dynamic markings... in that dynamics in performance tend to be more relative to the ensemble than absolute to a value.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

nice, pierre...it reminds me of some of the "softer" moments in the shrek movies...i like

Smile Re: Amour Tendre: my first orchestral only piece - Feedback appreciated

Thank you all for your comments and kind words.

Despite my lack of formal education in music composition and orchestration, your comments make me feel I can pursue writing my own music.

Larry: I will try putting the solo violin one octave lower, or maybe use a viola one octave lower.

David: Instrument balance is something I must work at. Adding different levels for the same dynamic marking is an option I did not try. I think I will do it !

Thanks again,
    Pierre
    Pierre Laroche

Hi Pierre -

The piece is lovely and I find it very expressive. That's something I'm having a VERY hard time with in my pieces (of course, I haven't really posted any up...I haven't had time to really work on much).

I too did not find the violin screechy. Although, I do agree with Larry that it would work an octave lower (or Viola an octave lower). But it sounds lovely as is.

- Michael
    -----------------------------
    - Michael Fortunato

Quote Originally Posted by mfortunato
    The piece is lovely and I find it very expressive. That's something I'm having a VERY hard time with in my pieces (of course, I haven't really posted any up...I haven't had time to really work on much).

- Michael
    Hi Michael,

Thank you for your comment. It is also difficult for me to make a piece expressive, and it is very time consuming. My main problem is that I have poor keyboard skills. That is why I relied on the Finale human playback for the piece we're talking about.

Concerning the violin register, I did not have the time to try it one octave lower as my wife is at the hospital and I use my spare time being with her. But I will try sooner or later and let you know which version I prefer.
    Pierre Laroche

Go Back to forum