• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Basil Poledouris and "his instrument"

Share/Bookmark

Question Basil Poledouris and "his instrument"

Hi.

There is one thing that has been bugging me for a while: Basil Poledouris (he made the music for the Conan movies, Starship Troopers and so on) often use an instrument that I can't identify. It sounds (to me anyway) like a harp but brighter and more "metallic". You can hear it in the beginning of "The Horn of Dagoth" and "Crystal Palace" from the "Conan the Destroyer" soundtrack.

Do anyone know what instrument this is?

-Ranietz-

Re: Basil Poledouris and "his instrument"

I'll check it out tonight.

Have you heard his soundtrack for Flesh and Blood? Crystal Palace is probably my favorite track from the Destroyer album.

Basil is awesome.

My guess would be a sitar... Sounds something like this right?

www.marcussenmusic.com/sitar.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    I'll check it out tonight.

Have you heard his soundtrack for Flesh and Blood? Crystal Palace is probably my favorite track from the Destroyer album.

Basil is awesome.
    Thanks.

No, I haven't heard his soundtrack for Flesh and Blood. I have only heard Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer pluss some themes here and there. You can download some songs from his website if you didn't know. I can't remember the address right now. Just google it...

And yes, Basil is great.

-Ranietz-

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    My guess would be a sitar... Sounds something like this right?

www.marcussenmusic.com/sitar.mp3
    No, I don't think thats it. But thanks for the suggestion.

Its a virginal. Assuming you mean the instrument at the beginning of Crystal Palace with the flute.

http://www.postpiano.com/products/de...oric+Keyboards

And the PMI virginal is mighty fine.

I guess there's a chance its a harpsichord. Its got to be one of the two. The tone is too even to be a plucked instrument. Harpsichords and virginals only have one velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Its a virginal. Assuming you mean the instrument at the beginning of Crystal Palace with the flute.

http://www.postpiano.com/products/de...oric+Keyboards

And the PMI virginal is mighty fine.

I guess there's a chance its a harpsichord. Its got to be one of the two. The tone is too even to be a plucked instrument. Harpsichords and virginals only have one velocity.
    Yeah, that's it. It doesn't matter if I don't find out if it's a harpsichord or a virginal. As long as I know what type of instrument it is, I'm happy. (they are the same type of instruments, right?)

Thanks a lot for the help.

-Ranietz-

They're very similar. A virginal has one note per string a harpsichord has two. Or something like that. I can't remember.

Conan the Barbarian is my dads favorite sound track I have heard that damn cd so many times that I am well....sick of it LOL(hearing that music in my head now Damn!!). It's also his favorite movie. My dad keeps telling me why don't you right music like this or do this piece, so I write some music like that and.... yea....
    Really though that sound track is the movie, there's hardly any speach in Conan the Barbarian but because of the sound track it works But is it the Orchestra Arrangements or the composition that is so great
    I think most thing now are modeled after Conan the Barbarian score, it's like a cliche for Role Playing Game Music in the US me thinks...
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

If you're into various plucked/stringed instruments, check out zither instruments.

Dulcimer (Gladiator), Psalter, Koto, etc are all part of the zither family.

There's a funny story about Basil recording the score to Conan, apparently they were on the scoring stage and the director was screaming through the glass at Basil and making the sign of the cross with his arms. Basil stopped the orchestra and asked what was wrong. The director was telling him that the trombones were "too Christian" and to get rid of them.

When you listen to the score the instrumentation is quite unusual, really suits the film IMO.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Go Back to forum