• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Looking for Pedal Steel Gtr...

Share/Bookmark

Post Looking for Pedal Steel Gtr...

I'm having trouble locating a pedal steel guitar multi-sample CD ROM (Not Loops...I can find those) Hopefully in the Giga format. Anyone have any clues as to where I can find that? I score an animation series called "On the Farm" with Vince Gill, Amy Grant and Randy Travis and more and more I'm needing this element in the score. If you've seen one please let me know!

Re: Looking for Pedal Steel Gtr...

I have been on the quest for this too. The best advice I got was Whole Lotta Country 3.....which I don't think is even made anymore and also there is a rare AKAI find that is still around $200 with country instruments. I think Sporter users this library - his demo is called "Jeep" if he chimes in here. However, being a guitar player as well, I can attest to none of these sounding close.

You are better off playing slide guitar (if you do play guitar) with a steel slide on a strat and then processing the heck out of the tracks.....you will get a sound a la Mutt Lang. His stuff where the steel is not prominent could easily be mimicked on slide. I can confirm that is what a lot of his stuff is anyway.

It sounds like you are looking for a more prominent steel sound since it is for some pretty down to roots pieces. Honestly, if you are in the Nashville area, you can find a "budding steel player" (though they are few and far between) that can crank out a song in 30 minutes for sub $100 bucks. It'll take him more time to drive to and from your house, and set up his steel than it will be to just record the part. Seeing as both of the libraries I mentioned are around $200.00, you can get 2-3 gigs out of a live player for that.

I've thought about sampling this and selling it....though it would be a highly niche market. I haven't solved the programming aspect of it yet either.
    Jonathan Kerr
    J.Kerr Music, Inc

I have used David Spires, who works in Nashville, on pedal steel. He is currently in JoDee Messina's band. He has a home studio and can take an MP3 from you and play a part according to what you tell him to play. He is cheaper than $100 per song too. He also plays dobro.

David is very talented, a nice guy, and very fair. He is trying to build his Internet recording service, so he would be glad to hear from you. Tell him I referred you.

davidspires@comcast.net

Fred Grittner

There is a lap steel guitar on QL Guitar and Bass that will give you that flavor. It's been quite helpful over the years. Much better off hiring a real guy of course.

I could probably post you an mp3 of something if you like.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rpmusic
    I'm having trouble locating a pedal steel guitar multi-sample CD ROM (Not Loops...I can find those) Hopefully in the Giga format. Anyone have any clues as to where I can find that? I score an animation series called "On the Farm" with Vince Gill, Amy Grant and Randy Travis and more and more I'm needing this element in the score. If you've seen one please let me know!
    Hi, I have the sample disk a Whole Lotta Country by Samplehead in Giga format that has steel guitar, dobro,banjo,mandolin, fiddle in multi-format sample. Let me know if I can help you somehow. All the best.

mandoman

Yeah, the aspect of pedal steel is impossible to convincingly do as samples....where at any instant you have up to 8-note chords ..and 1 or 2 notes start bending down (knee levers) while others stay on the sustained pitch...while others bend up (floor pedals)...all at the same instant...plus the constant slide action of the bar between "frets"..and some notes get palm muted while others continue to drone. Never seen it done on samplers or keyboards. Those Trycho guys in California do real pedal steel, banjo etc tracks as part of their audio production division. I used them for a couple of things a few years ago and it turned out nice.

Do a GOOGLE for the soundfont "pedalsteel.exe". It's free and not too bad.

Jerry

Don't forget American Heartland. And excellent assortment of acoustic country/bluegrass instruments. It's in Akai, but translates fine.

I still have an old K2000-R that has a great function for pedal steel. You can hit a chord and then hit the sustain pedal. Only the notes that you continue to hold down with your fingers then will be affected by the pitch wheel. So you can hit for instance, C-D-G and then bend only the D up to an E for a C triad. Combined with a little delayed vibrato and volume work, it becomes a really nice pedal steel texture even though you wouldn't want to put it too far out in the mix.

I haven't messed with Kontakt programming enough to know if it will do that, but someone might know.

If you are afraid of recording a live player for some reason, rest assured that 90% of Nashville producers take pedal steel direct. I like to record both. Usually, the steel player has a killer amp that is worth several thousand dollars that sounds perfect with an sm57. Afterall, the steel player knows more of how he thinks the sound should be processed than you can usually mimick.

I guess we don't know where you are from though, to see if this is even an option.....
    Jonathan Kerr
    J.Kerr Music, Inc

Go Back to forum