• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anybody know why XP has made all my files read-only all of a sudden??

Share/Bookmark

Anybody know why XP has made all my files read-only all of a sudden??

Hi there... My machine is not connected to the web, has no virus protection or any other intrusive things... It's been running perfectly fine, without any problems...

Anyway, from one day to the next, without my fooling around with the system or anything, I find that all my files are suddenly read-only, and no matter if I click to remove read-only, it goes right back... anybody know how to correct this or any links to a solution??? Any info appreciated, thanks...

Re: Anybody know why XP has made all my files read-only all of a sudden??

Tradivoro

That is the sort of strange behavior I am anticipating in the future when digital rights management, new security technology, and bugs interact. In any case...

The only thing that I can think of that might cause your system to act that way now would be if you usually logged on as user1 and instead logged on as user2 particularly if user1 had administrator status and user2 had normal user status.

I poked around a bit in the control panel but nothing jumped out at me. You might want to check the administrative services panel, there is a section on (I think) setting file sharing rights (I access the internet as a normal user, not an administrator so I couldn't get into it to see if there would be anything there that would help you.)

In a day or two I'll be talking to someone who knows more about the esoteric corners of windows than I do and will see what he has to say.

I've had obscure Windows annoyances too and find them particularly frustrating (to put it mildly.) Good luck on a speedy resolution.

Chet

I forget where I've read of someone having the same problem.
    I think this is what worked for them: 1) Create a NEW USER Account and give the new user Administrative Privelages. 2) Then, DELETE ALL OTHER USER ACCOUNTS (if possible). Don't know if a reboot was thrown in there, but you know the routine....
    Start/Settings/Control Panel/User Account_"Create a new account".

Good Luck!

Thanks guys, I'll look into that and see what happens...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

If you have not used up all your freebies at Microsoft, you could also call their tech support. Those people CAN solve problems, and oftentimes, they know the super-shortcut ways to do it. And they tend to be very liberal about helping you even if according to the books, you might not be eligible for the support. I have never been turned down.

I'll check it out Bruce, thanks... So far, I've been able to start bringing it back to normal just from my research here and there... But one never knows what the source has to say, do one??

Go Back to forum